Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

xixray

considering taking up float tubing
« on: 04/10/2009 at 22:30 »
trying to deicide which tube to buy - either a Sparton Cruiser or Guideline Drifter Pontoon *GC0273* (Float Tubes) £191.30

Would be grateful for your advice!

Ray

Peter McCallum

Re: considering taking up float tubing
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2009 at 07:58 »
my choice would be the shakespere expedition tube. best plan would be to get yourself to haddo and have a paddle first

xixray

« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2009 at 12:43 »
Thanks for your input Rabbitangler - but acording to Steve Parton; Shakespear have dicontinued the Expedition float tube.

Ray

xixray

« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2009 at 12:45 »
I really am a NEWBEE; I don't even know where Haddo is!  Please enlighten me!

Ray

« Reply #4 on: 05/10/2009 at 16:10 »
I know its lazy, but you will find info on Haddo here:

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/haddo-trout-fishery.html

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 05/10/2009 at 17:07 »
Hi,

Shakespear have dicontinued the Expedition float tube.

Google the online shops .Still plenty around.

:wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 07/10/2009 at 08:18 »
Have to say the guys on here told me the Guideline was no good (too high out the water so wind caught it etc) so I ended up with the Shakey. However, if I had the choice again, it would be the Guideline, hands down.

The reason, I used a Guideline from one of the guys in the Pike Fly Fishing Association (almost to a man they all have guidelines) and I found for bigger waters it was much more stable than the shakey in a chop, sitting higher up, actually out of the water was much warmer, and when hauling line, your left hand/elbow does not end up soaking wet. It was also extremely comfortable with none of the slipping forward all the time that you get on an unmodified Shakey.

Although wind did possibly affect it a little more, I found it MUCH easier to turn into the wind and hold station than the shakey, probably as you only have your legs in the water you are not trying to push against most of your torso as well.

Lastly, going through weed and over shallows was a doddle! :)

However, for a first tube on somewhere like Haddo, the Shakey is fine, although in reality its not a 5 bladder tube, but a 3 and a half as the smallest bladder needs to come out else you are pushed too far forward, and the "back rest" bladder is quite small..but still safe :)

And as said by everyone..get a life jacket! :)

Dave Olley

« Reply #7 on: 07/10/2009 at 14:42 »
I would echo Robs response.
I have an Outcast Fat Cat which is another tube where you sit out of the water. Much more maneuverable and much warmer as only the lower legs are in the water.
Also easier to cast and retrieve as you have more space for your elbows.
I have fished from the Sparton / Shakespeare and much prefer my tube.
One thing I would say is get a decent pair of fins. The little one supplied for tubing are a waste of space. :wink

xixray

« Reply #8 on: 09/10/2009 at 19:38 »
Thanks everyone for your feedback.  It helped me make up my mind.  I have bought the Guideline Drifter and I am planning my maiden voyage at Trybergh on Sunday 11th October.
Tahanks again everyone

Ray :grin

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 09/10/2009 at 22:39 »
Hi Ray,
let us know how you get on & give us your opinion on the tube.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 09/10/2009 at 22:43 »
Hi Ray
Great stuff, I hope you enjoy your "maiden voyage" :z16

Yes, we need more float tubes folks ....... "Shakeys" are becoming far too common :z4  :z4  :z4

Best wishes
Mike

xixray

« Reply #11 on: 10/10/2009 at 10:17 »
Sfter reading the following post; I decided to delay my maiden voyage until Tuesday 13th Oct and make a few safety inprovements to my tube;

Re: Guideline Drifter Pontoon
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 20:57:15 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a extract from the BFTA Thryburgh fishing report concerning Guideline drifter pontoons, it may pay you to look into them a bit closer before buying one, as a nasty accident nearly happened to one of our members!

Now it is with some sadness that I have to report a very unfortunate incident which happened to John D. It appears he hooked an enormous trout out in the middle of the water – “with a tail like a shovel and far too big to go in the large Sparton net”. As he was leaning backwards with his rod hand, and forwards with his net hand, the fish lunged and pulled him off the seat of the tube so he disappeared out of the front and had to hang onto the crossbar with his chin. Determined not to let go of the fish, and equally determined not to bear the cost of a rearming kit for his lifejacket, he had Stevie drag him to the shore, (is there no end to this guys talents)? Whereupon John managed to get the line stuck around the reel and the fish broke him to escape, saluting John with a couple of victory rolls on the surface to say goodbye. Now on the plus side John saved the cost and inconvenience of having to park outside a laundrette with his big motorhome - by getting a complete full body clothes wash, and also a free bath to boot! Mmmm now what was I thinking about those geese earlier?? As you can imagine John received a lot of sympathy for this jolly escapade, but we couldn’t persuade him to repeat it for the camera after supper – you will understand, so we could put a picture in the gallery to demonstrate how to survive by hanging on to a tube with your chin. Very inconsiderate of him – we’re all willing to learn!
As a serious rider to this report – if you have a guide float tube, or any tube without a crotch strap, it would be worth investing a fiver or so on a big snap buckle and a length of webbing to affix under the seat and onto the cross bar, which would actually prevent this situation from happening.

The conclusion to this is that we think that the seat of the pontoon is positioned too far forward, and you only have to move forward a inch or two in the tube in order to tip forward out of the tube.

Hope this helps with your purchase decision.

All the best

Russ

:z17  I intend to add a crutch strap or seat belt!

Ray

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 11/10/2009 at 02:21 »
Xixray,
I would class the "accident" as the chaps own undoing to tell the truth...The same would have happened if he had lent too far forward in a boat, or even worse in some tubes. (see below)

But, at least if you do come off or flip the guideline you can actually get out of it quick. The Scottish secratary of the PFFA has had two very lucky escapes from a standard tube. Both times he ended up head first in the water with the tube upside down on top, holding him under. If it were not for the life jacket I doubt he would still be about.

He now has a guideline..lol.

Seriously, a bit of common sense is the most important thing when out in any kind of watercraft. Over stretching, under inflation, bad laoding can all lead to accidents. I am sure you will love it once out on the water and have got a little confidence :)

Dave Olley

« Reply #13 on: 11/10/2009 at 17:31 »
I don't think that this is a problem with the tube, more likely operator error.
I don't need a crutch strap to stop me falling out of my armchair and I certainly do not intend to tie myself into a float tube.
Mt tube (Outcast fat cat) has an open front and I have never felt that I was going to fall out of it :z4

xixray

« Reply #14 on: 11/10/2009 at 17:44 »
Hi everyone
             'decided to go ahead with my maiden voyage today, regardless of what I said in my earlier post.  Weather was good with a slight breeze.  On the first launch of my Guideline Drifter I found that

controlling the tube was rather dificult, so I beeched the tube and took most of the air out of the seat bladder and I took more air out of the main pontoon bladders.  This allowed me to sit deeper in the

water and I found I was more able to control the tube n much easier, using much less effort.  I was actually more confortable sitting lower in the water; it felt like I was fishing from an armchair.  That problem sorted out; I got on with a bit of fishing.  I soon discovered another fault; this time it was the line tray, if you can call it a line tray.  The tray is supposed to be secured at the side by vecrose strips. Totally useless, the velcrose strips never stay closed. The linetray was too small, there was a four inch gap between me and the edge of the line tray.  Every time I stripped line in, it ended up down the gap and tangling with my legs. I need to make a new stripping tray.

Those were the only faults I found with tube today and once I'd mastered the paddling and turning I started to enjoy my day as best I could.  Unfortunately, I did not catch a fish, although I

did hook into two and lost them. There's always a next time!  AND THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME; now that I'm hooked on TUBING!

All the best

Ray

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com