Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

j.r fartley

looking forward to next season...
« on: 01/10/2009 at 16:12 »
For those who didnt already know, this was my first full season since returning to the sport!

iv had a great time fishing the Don,Tay,Spey,and Tummel

aswell as visiting Haddo,loch insch,mossat and Rothiemurchus fisheries.

Its been a real learning curve and tbh id still class myself as a novice with so much more to learn!

this forum aswell as fly fishing forums have been a great source of information which brings me to my next question.... :z4

next year id like to catch myself a silver tourist and was wondering what sort of outfit i should be looking at?

id be fishing the don/deveron with the odd visit to bigger rivers,would a 13ft be ideal?

what sort of line system should i be looking at?

iv spent a bloody fortune on tackle this year and i know my missus will be delighted i want more  :z4

out of everything iv bought this year the 2 casting lessons iv had were the best money i spent,il need more to learen to speycast  :z16

Andy Wren

Re: looking forward to next season...
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2009 at 17:16 »
Before you buy a Doublehander get a lesson or two ,will save money in the end ,telk tackle with your good instructor and discuss here or FFF .
Imho a 14' for 8/9 lines would be my go too allrounder these days ,since I got a Sage fli 14' I have hardly used the 15s and 16s and that includes sunk line in febuary .
I have matched it with some Vision ace shooting heads and it does well with the snobee 2d lines i already had.

Conehead

« Reply #2 on: 02/10/2009 at 20:42 »
Would agree with advice regarding double handed casting lessons before shelling out the hard earnt. I learnt by teaching myself ,and a whole lot of trial and mostly error. Two seasons ago I saw the light and the error of my ways after a few hours with Ian Gordon, what a difference it made to my whole approach to casting and understanding the importance of getting the rod and correctly matched line do the hard work.
Think that the choice of a 13ft 8/9 is a good one for the places that you intend to fish, but don't rush your purchase.

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2009 at 22:12 »
A 14ft 9/10 will probably make a better allrounder, especially if you intend to use larger tube flies in the spring months and the extra length will come in useful on the larger rivers. Your trout rod should be fine for low water work where you need more delicacy.

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2009 at 13:45 »
I had a spey casting lesson with Willie Banks on the Dee at the beginning of this year and i would highly recommend him. Im sure he would let you try some rods and advise you. See here http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Dee/Instruction.asp?dom=Dee

my fishing is similar to what you will be doing and I opted for a 13' rod if that is any help.

Tight lines
Paul.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 03/10/2009 at 19:02 »
Still time this season to have a go for the Silver Tourists JR  :cool:

I've plenty Salmon gear if you want to borrow an outfit .

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 05/10/2009 at 09:30 »
I'll add a vote for Ben dixon who is Ben_d on the forum, made a huge difference in a few hours yesterday afternoon.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com