Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

j.r fartley

trout fishing near huntly?
« on: 23/09/2009 at 22:37 »
iv just bought a house in huntly and was wondering if anyone can give me the lowdown on trout fishing in the area?

i know the deveron runs close by but iv only ever heard about the salmon fishing,

i fully intend to spend more time on the don next year but something close to home would be a bonus  :z8

Ben Dixon

Re: trout fishing near huntly?
« Reply #1 on: 23/09/2009 at 23:40 »
Hi Allan,

The Deveron is rated quite highly for trout fishing, Paul has fished it and done very well.  It has no protection order on it so it can be very difficult to get access for trout fishing particularly when the salmon are about, drop ricardo a PM about it,I am sure he could give you some info.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 24/09/2009 at 06:41 »
JR

Ben is right , difficult or impossible to get trout tickets once the Salmon season starts. Drop into Turrif tackle, Frank the owner has all the info on Deveron beats.

You also have Artloch fishery just outside Huntly, now home of Sharpes tackle.

:z18

Jim   

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2009 at 11:44 »
You can get a season permit for the Huntly association waters at a reasonable cost if you live locally. It gives you access to 4 miles of the Deveron, 4 miles of the Isla and 5 of the Bogie. No real shortage of trout fishing there and it can be quite good in April/early May.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 24/09/2009 at 12:36 »
what if you don't live locally?

j.r fartley

« Reply #5 on: 24/09/2009 at 13:45 »
thanks for the info guys!  :cool:

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #6 on: 24/09/2009 at 16:03 »
what if you don't live locally?

Not so good, they doubled the prices this season and no Saturday access.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #7 on: 25/09/2009 at 15:07 »
I remember there was a fishery my dad used to take us to, say 10yrs ago maybe. Forge it was called, I dont think it was too far from Huntly. No idea if its still open and couldnt find any info online.

Im sure I've been there with you Hamish?

My brother, friend and I were gonna go see if its still open some time soon.

j.r fartley

« Reply #8 on: 29/09/2009 at 15:52 »
i was having a look into the deveron and its tributaries when i came across this ...

http://www.deveron.org/wb/media/pdfs/Flyer8.pdf

what a fish!!!

just a shame it wasnt put back into the river  :z15

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 29/09/2009 at 19:25 »
JR

A truly magnificent fish , I remember it at the time , I think it was reported in the P & . I can understand why some people would argue against the death of such a fish. However  Brown Trout are not an endangered species and are plentiful in Scotland.
Also the habitat  where the fish was caught could not support a population of large fish so it would have not been producing a plethora of large offspring.
If its within the rules of the river its really a personal choice by the angler. I support moderation in all aspects of the sport  including C & R but do not think we should ban taking a fish for the pot or as a trophy.
If  any species is so endangered that we have to impose total C & R should we be fishing for them at all ?         

:z18

Jim

j.r fartley

« Reply #10 on: 29/09/2009 at 23:14 »
jim
im not a 100% c+r fisherman though i rarely take a fish from a river

i just feel such a prize fish like that one deserves to go back for another day!

saying that who knows how id react if i caught a brown like that!  :z4

im looking forward to wetting a line on the deveron/isla/bogie!  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com