Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stefan Siikavaara

Re: Barrio Competition Line
« Reply #15 on: 30/09/2009 at 17:22 »
Hi guys!

Just back from casting distance with the line. Here is a few casts for you:

Fredrik and Paul is going to murder with this line... :grin

I think I might have popped a 130 with it yesterday. I did not realise how long this line is until I got it along the tape today...JESUS itīs long  :shock

Had to work hard to beat you Mike, now itīs your turn!!  :wink

Best Regards
Stefan

Mike Heritage

« Reply #16 on: 30/09/2009 at 19:10 »
Nice one Stefan. I haven't reached mega distance again, mainly because the air is totally dead, high pressure and almost still, perfect for presentation stuff but not ideal for distance.

I have been casting it along side my TCR with an MED on and my Echo UD with a 95' DT on. The outcast usually wins by a foot or two although occasionally the DT come out slightly better, but only slightly. The very worst I can say about the line is that it is equal too, or slightly better than the MED but is much nicer to cast. I haven't tried it on the UD yet but I find it casts better on the TCR rather than the Angel, which doesn't feel like it has enough beef in the bottom two sections. I would really like to try it on an X TCR, mine is an AB.

Mike

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #17 on: 30/09/2009 at 19:32 »
Hi Mike!

You should try it on a AD TCX 590, that would raise your brows!  :z4

I will try to not cast any before Saturday (but itīs so hard to stay away). Itīs been a quite tough period of training and I need to rest the arms some. I know I can add a few feet more to the cast when I am better rested. 

Yes, this line plays in the same division as the MED and you know how very much I love that line. This is a beautiful design, finally there is more than one proper longbelly line on the market. You guys have done a fantastic job!

Best Regards
Stefan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 01/10/2009 at 21:09 »
Hi Stefan
126.6 ............ Great casting! :z16

I'm glad I didn't include myself in this wee challenge :z4

Best wishes

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 01/10/2009 at 21:47 »
Nice Casting guys, be interesting to see how your group gets on Stefan.  I have still not had a serious session with it against the tape, managed a few casts over 115' today with a Helios 905 TF in a fairly serious wind, the line is certainly much more forgiving and easier to work with than the MED, more forgiving of tracking errors with a long carry and turnover is certainly much better.  I too would like to get it on a TCR, mine is a custom but quite poker like, getting rebuilt just now.....  Must chase up that rod builder  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #20 on: 01/10/2009 at 22:37 »
Hi Ben!

A custom you say? Sandy? Are you going to let Snapper try it out?  :z4

Best regards
Stefan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #21 on: 01/10/2009 at 23:42 »
Hi Stef,

Was built in the US but I wore out the thin wire recoils in about 2 months, having it built up with SW recoil snakes, much harder tip ring as this went very quickly and getting lined strippers on it.  Is with a local builder, I missed Sandy, he was in moving mode by the time I decided I was missing the rod.  Don't want to trash my Helios, I like it too much as a fishing rod hence want the TCR back!!

Cheers

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #22 on: 02/10/2009 at 07:30 »
Hi Ben!

That used to happen to me too, but not anymore. Havenīt worn out a single guíde in 4-5 years. Do you clean your lines...   :wink

Make it a daily routine, allways drop your spools in a bucket of luke warm water and a few soapflakes after a session. Let them sit in it for a few hours or overnight. Next day wipe them down with a soft rug a few times and finally dress them with Tiemco or SA line dressing.

Oh, and I used to wear out 4-6 lines every year, now my lines last 3 seasons...

Best regards
Stefan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #23 on: 02/10/2009 at 10:39 »
Just given the line a proper thrashing against the tape.  Best cast 124'4",and consistent at about 116' with the odd 120 in there too.  Thought my prototype was a bit heavy but I have now decided that I was simply casting like a girl!!

Cheers

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #24 on: 02/10/2009 at 11:43 »
Hi Ben!

Superb casting mate!! Well done!  :z16

Yeah! The speed needed has to come from somewhere...

I can get very consistent over 115 with this line by just flopping it, but if I want to go 120 I need at least three times the effort. That means get the body moving in my case and increase the haul speed.

Best regards
Stefan   

Mike Heritage

« Reply #25 on: 03/10/2009 at 10:28 »
I suggest you back off the macho style Stefan and concentrate on technique :z4, you know it makes sense :z3.

Mike

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #26 on: 03/10/2009 at 17:25 »
Hi Mike!

You convinced me to become a brute, it was you who told me to hit the fucker!  :z4 :z4

I couldīnt bloody cast a clean loop for months while working on adding power to the cast. I had entire sessions when EVERY delivery cast tailed. Charlott was not too happy about it either, she said I was ruining my technique. I got more knots and tangles in one hour than I used to have in two seasons. And the curves, those bloody curves in the delivery cast... :z4

Then it fecking started to work! Bit by bit I could add more power without messing up the cast. Still working on this. Thought it would be easy to learn but it is damn difficult to cast with a lot of power....

Best Regards
Stefan

Hamish Young

« Reply #27 on: 03/10/2009 at 17:45 »
Hmmmm..... seems I really must try the revised line out. Sounds like it'll suit my errr..... unique style :z4

Hamish  :z3

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #28 on: 04/10/2009 at 15:18 »
Hi all!

Ok, back from a day in the hall. Max distance is just not possible in there, the ceeling is too low. But we did some carrying with your line Mike...

Magnus carried 29m (95.1 ft)

I carried 29.8m (97.8 ft)

And Fredrik carried 31.4m (103 ft)

All lengths measured from line end to hauling hand, leader excluded. These are personal records for all three of us. Fredrik did the 103ft two times, and the method we have for judging that a carry is under control is that the caster can complete three false cast cycles with it.

Best regards
Stefan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 04/10/2009 at 18:10 »
Hi all!

Ok, back from a day in the hall. Max distance is just not possible in there, the ceeling is too low. But we did some carrying with your line Mike...

Magnus carried 29m (95.1 ft)

I carried 29.8m (97.8 ft)

And Fredrik carried 31.4m (103 ft)

All lengths measured from line end to hauling hand, leader excluded. These are personal records for all three of us. Fredrik did the 103ft two times, and the method we have for judging that a carry is under control is that the caster can complete three false cast cycles with it.

Best regards
Stefan

Wow! :shock
That is awesome casting Stefan, I don't think I've heard of anybody carrying 100 ft of 5wt before  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com