Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

I got a play with and went fishing with the finished article on Sunday and thought I would post my findings.

I fished the line with dries to begin with on a Helios 905 tipflex in quite a stiff breeze with a 16' leader tapered to 5x fluoro, the turnover was positive without being harsh at close range and was still very positive and controlled at up to 30 yards, I was very impressed by the presentation and accuracy I could achieve at range even in the wind.  Due to the long rear taper it was easy to lift long lengths of line from the water which made covering fish with dries very quick & easy, no need to strip in to the head before lifting off and representing to a new target.  The rear taper makes the line very predictable in the air, even when aerialising huge amounts of line the loops were exceptionally stable hence the line presented well and wanted to shoot from all lengths of carry, a stable loop will turn over and being so stable makes it ideal for casting multiple flies.  Ticked all the boxes for general dry & nymph fishing.

Many 5wt lines will struggle with heavy or large flies and I wanted to see how the line coped with an average stillwater lure, I changed to a 9' fluoro tapered leader with a 3x point and tied on a size 10 yellow dancer and to my suprise, the line coped fine, much better than I had expected.  The fly turned over well and it was possible to throw it quite a long way, even with the bulk and mass of the fly the loops remained stable and the cast felt under control at all times, will be interesting to see how the line copes with a polyleader, I think it should be fine.

Where would I use it and what for?  General stillwater duties from boat or bank with nymphs & dries and even standard sized lures, I say "even" as the line I was fishing was the 5wt, not the usual choice for fishing lure patterns.  Traditional loch style fishing with three or four flies from a boat, the excellent turn over characteristics and stability in flight means it will be a great line for casting several bushier flies in often breezy conditions.  Will be a good line for fishing at range on rivers too particularly with wets & nymphs, the long taper will allow the line to be steered well during the drift.  In heavier weights this line will work well as a big water line, a good floater for reservoir fishing and the 7 and 8 wt versions will do well as sea trout / singlehanded salmon lines for use on larger rivers.

When simply casting it for fun, it goes a long way and although I am yet to get this version with the new coating against the tape measure I am sure that it will go as far as the SA Expert Distance and probably go further on average for most anglers, the new coating is much slicker than that on the last prototype I cast.  It roll casts and Speys pretty well too!!

Cheers

Ben

( edit = Change the title to show the new name for the fly line, changed due to a trade mark issue )

Stefan Siikavaara

Re: Barrio Competition Line
« Reply #1 on: 22/09/2009 at 10:01 »
Hi Ben!

Interesting! Looking forward to try the new line out, good news about the coating! 88 ft head sounds long though but that depends on the taper of course. Thatīs 88 ft including rear taper right? Not a rear taper after a 88 ft belly?

I shoot from about 88 ft for full throttle distance and by then I would not mind being into a slight overhang to help reduce the dip in the lower leg. The SA ED is crazy eager to go for a "safe" long cast from about 85-86 ft but at 88 itīs a much more dicey business...

Best regards
Stefan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 23/09/2009 at 19:55 »
Thanks for the very kind comments Ben :z16

I have set Ben, Mike and Stefan a wee challenge ...... to see how far they can cast the line down the measuring tape :wink This is just a bit of fun amongst friends, but I suspect it might get a bit competitive :z4

By the way, everybody has been calling this line "the Competition Line" and for this reason I almost named it that, but I decided to call it the "Barrio Outcast" ...... after our forum casting club. Seemed like a good idea since a lot of you have had input in to this line over the last couple of years.

Thanks again
Mike

Mike Heritage

« Reply #3 on: 23/09/2009 at 20:17 »
Oh, I see I'm late, again.

None of your woosy fishing for me, just blood and guts casting.

The line arrived this morning and I was lucky enough to get home early enough to get out and cast it. I had to guess the weight, Mike forgot to tell me :z6. Anyway I guessed right (5) and put it up on an Angel 2TE (9' 5 weight).

Best 125.2'' or 38.15m. I peppered the 120 mark but couldn't improve on the 125 (need some practice).
Carry was up by about 8' or more from the MED to nearly 93ft or 28.25m, whichever is the longest. I was casting with a slight breeze so that carry is into it. Thats 93' effective carry, ie, under control. Thats pretty well a record for me, I can only carry 82/3' of MED on a good day.

Nice turnover at distance.

I also did some short accuracy and roll/spey casting (on grass), sweet as a nut.

I will put it head to head against the MED and a DT over the weekend, if the weather holds.

It picks up very nicely, 90'+ pickups and 105' laydowns, dead straight.

Nice line, fishing will have to wait.

Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2009 at 20:44 »
Hi Mike :z16

Yes, I forgot to tell you it was a #5 :oops

Wow, feedback and distances already! Looks like you got to grips with it ok, that's fantastic casting in my book, well done! Great news that you think I've got the turnover back, it's not easy to design something that will do that Mike.

Now I must stop here and say THANK YOU! Mike has given me an awful lot of help with this design over the last two years and must be totally fed up with my PMs and emails ( I wouldn't like to count how many I've sent him :shock ) and this design would not have been possible without him sharing his casting experience with me. I also learnt an incredible amount at the Sexyloops Gatherings, just by sitting and watching how the lines act in the air when this awesome bunch of friends get their hands on them!

Thanks again Mike!
Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2009 at 21:27 »
Away for a few days and then it looks as if I will have to dust off the 5wt (Rob, where is my TCR 5!) and the tape measure. 

Mike, I have not cast this on grass or anywhere with sufficent space to wind it up (loose those other trees Mike) but I suspect my carry will be up on the MED too, the line is simply more stable and I think gives greater margin for error also, I think it will turn over much better.

Were you picking up 90' off water or grass Mike?  Think you should come up for the Outcasts gathering in October, I will put you up, Stefan, the offer is there too. I can't do Sunday 4th unless after lunch and more or less all Saturdays are out for me too.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 23/09/2009 at 21:33 »
Hmmm ..... might be better to expand on my earlier reply :z3

Mike Heritage was the person that gave me the original idea for this particular taper design and his help throughout the project has been awesome, but I must not forget everybody else that has helped with endless enthusiasm along the way ..... like Sandy, Hamish, Ben, Magnus, Stefan and even Lee ..... and of course the forum members that have tried the numerous prototypes and given me their honest feedback :wink

You guys couldn't do the designing for me, but you certainly made up for my lack of casting ability! :z4

I'm so lucky to have so many good friends with such a lot of experience :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Heritage

« Reply #7 on: 24/09/2009 at 15:16 »
Yes, the pick up and laydown was on grass Ben, where else. I don't touch water, fish make love in it :grin

It would be nice to get up to see you guys but to be honest I don't see it happening, but you never know. Have you a date yet?

I think you have done a brilliant job of interpreting a mish mash of information and turning into a flyline Mike :z16

Home early again and it's perfect weather, I feel the need for speed :z2

Mike

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #8 on: 24/09/2009 at 18:47 »
Hi guys!

Mike, 125 ft... Congrats friend! Fantastic casting! Hmm, this is going to be tough. I hope I can do the line justice. I will certainly try my best!

90 ft pickup is evil doing Mike. A friend of mine, Fredrik, did almost that in the middle of a shootout against Paul. You should have seen Pauls face expression.   :shock  :z3

I hope I can get Fredrik into casting the prototype aswell (that will not be hard  :z7). I anyone here can get the full potential out of a 5 wt line itīs him.

Best Regards
Stefan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 24/09/2009 at 19:09 »

I hope I can get Fredrik into casting the prototype as well (that will not be hard  :z7). If anyone here can get the full potential out of a 5 wt line itīs him.

Best Regards
Stefan

Hi Stefan :z16

I have heard you speak about Fredrik before, it will be great to hear how he gets on with the line too! This is turning in to an international competition :z4  :z4  :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 24/09/2009 at 20:26 »
No Suitable rod with me today and a bit blowy for the 5 in Banchory so took out a Western3 and MED #6, measured carry at about 86' consistently with the odd cycles at 88' but shoot is better for me from 86' consistent at about 118 - 119' with the odd one over 120'.  Must get out and try "the line" against the tape, Rob, any news on my rod or does anyone else have a TCR5 they want to lend me?  Promise I won't break it  :z4

bit off topic I know.....
Played with hauling palm forward today to enable a better wrist snap at the end but I could not manage to get my fingers untangled from the line to shoot, substantial increase line speed though.  You played about with the Mike / Stefan?

Cheers

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #11 on: 24/09/2009 at 20:34 »
Hi Ben!

I've tried it but it did not give me much more than tangles.  :z7  I set the line along the thumb instead and try to use it the same way Rick Hartman does.

best regards
Stefan

Mike Heritage

« Reply #12 on: 25/09/2009 at 17:24 »
I have tried the back flip Ben but it feels awkward. My main problem used to be slippage but I now wind the line once around two fingers, it doesn't restrict feeding line into a shoot and when I pinch down with my thumb I know it won't slip.

Mike

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #13 on: 29/09/2009 at 09:45 »
Hi guys!

This line is going to get tested indoors next Sunday if UK-mail allows. The hall we have access to has a bit limited height but it should be fine. At least there is no wind in there...

Last saturday was a struggle in cold, hard and shifting winds. We had two casts going in at 38 meters with a 6wt ED and a few over 46 meters with the T38. One of the guys passed 105 ft with his left hand (fecking hell). And we finally got a girl in our group now!    

The guys are still hitting 33-35 meters consistently even in these conditions...

We will also start up a series of workshops on the FFF CCI-test next Sunday. This will be a ongoing event until Christmas. We will cover all the tasks of the test and look into purpose, explanations and also have a closer look at the examinator role.

Here is some T38 in the wind: http://hedman.be/090927/P9271699.AVI

Magnus +110 in the wind: http://hedman.be/090927/P9271715.AVI

Fredrik (The girly precision guy) hits +120 in the wind: http://hedman.be/090927/P9271705.AVI

Doc working the wind: http://hedman.be/090927/P9271703.AVI

Best regards
Stefan

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #14 on: 30/09/2009 at 12:06 »
Hi guys!

I got the line yesterday and casted it for about an hour before it was pitch black here...

I have a LOT to say about it but I will wait until the group has had a go with it this Sunday.

I can say one thing though. I am quite eager to get home from work today...

Best Regards
Stefan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com