Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

Kamasan B170
« on: 21/09/2009 at 12:18 »
Has anyone got a Kamasan B170 in a size 12?? Could you do me a favour and let me know what the shank length is please. I have just had a telephone call from an irate friend (no not Paul!) who was spluttering down the phone about a recent article in a mag that he is aghast about. I do not use this hook so cannot help him but said that I could probably find out by asking on the Forum. He is very well known and is considering writing a letter to the Editor which would be published if he decides to pen it ut needs to know this dimension so come on guys one of you must have some of these!!

Many Thanks,

Richard

Rob Brownfield

Re: Kamasan B170
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2009 at 12:55 »
If its any help, the B175 is the same hook but heavier wire..so the shanks will be the same length (1xl)..but mine are at home so can't help just now.

Am i right in thinking that this has something to do with compatition rules???

I did find a couple of websites that refer to this hook as a "streamer" hook...interesting.

Richard Tong

« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2009 at 13:14 »
Hi Rob,

Not sure if B175 is same hook in a heavier guage and nope it is absolutely nothing top do with Competition Rules,

Richard

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2009 at 14:42 »
According to the Kamasan site it is the same :)

Spot the difference..

One is discribed as "Trout Fly Medium" the other "Trout Fly Heavy".

Hope this helps...

Confused as to why someone would get all upset about a hook??????

Richard Tong

« Reply #4 on: 21/09/2009 at 15:50 »
If you knew him you would not be surprised at all!

The query was to do with an article in this months FF & FT by Peter Lapsley and was regarding the size of Duns and what hook size they correspond to. I must admit to raising an eyebrow when I read it. Also look at how his Thorax Dun sits on the water surface with the bend of the hook above the water....aye right!!

The shank length by the way is 8mm confirmed by Paul. Thanks for your help

Richard

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com