Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Fry bashing season
« on: 13/09/2009 at 21:46 »
Anywhere locally I would have a chance of experiencing this?

Jim Eddie

Re: Fry bashing season
« Reply #1 on: 13/09/2009 at 21:55 »
Fry bashing , don't think so Noel, I thinks its more on the big English reservoirs where there are lots of coarse fish fry.

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 13/09/2009 at 22:09 »
The Don!!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 13/09/2009 at 22:55 »
That had crossed my mind Ben! Have hardly been on the river in the last few months :oops Must change that before its too late.
I have seen BIG fish cruising the shallows of Corby loch in the past, late at night about this time of year but it was not the attacking surge I picture as fry bashing.
So Ben what are you imitating with the buggers on the don, trout fry?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 13/09/2009 at 23:49 »
I have seen "fry bashing" on quite a few of the natural lochs up here..basically anywhere the fish have minnows etc to hit. Most noticable were probably Rescobie and Butterstone where they bash into the coarse fish fry. Another dead cert, but a bit further to go is Menteith.

Have to say, its an extremely exciting way of fishing :)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 14/09/2009 at 10:33 »
Iam on rescobie tomorrow Noel so will let you know how it goes, normally there is a wee bash there!
The best place even though its smaller water is the bankside pool at kingennie, place is great for fry bashing tactics!
Seen lads ginking up minkies and pulling them at rapid speed there once, and you can actually see the fry jumping oot the water when they are being chased  :shock

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 14/09/2009 at 10:39 »
I ended up fishing lochter because haddo was flooded the other week and they were taking minnow patterns and nothing else.  lots of minnows in the water at the edges.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2009 at 22:12 »
That had crossed my mind Ben! Have hardly been on the river in the last few months :oops Must change that before its too late.
I have seen BIG fish cruising the shallows of Corby loch in the past, late at night about this time of year but it was not the attacking surge I picture as fry bashing.
So Ben what are you imitating with the buggers on the don, trout fry?

Hi Noel,

I am really not sure!!  I have done better with black woolly buggers than many of the more artistic and fish like patterns with the exception of a smolt pattern I fished earlier on in the year when the smolts where heading out.  Usual patterns are black woolly buggers in size 2, 4 or 6 either with a bright orange cone head or with out and with a weighted under body, Madonnas in black, yellow or brown do well and other rabbit patterns like Butt Monkeys.  They are all american patterns that can be found on Ray Schmidts website.  I think most of the time if the fly is fished hard enough and it is big enough it will get the correct response from the fish, I am convinced that 80% of the streamer takes I get are out of aggression rather than feeding instinct the exception is when I have spotted fry feeding activity and have hit targeted a fish, feeding fish tend to take the fly more or less as soon as it hits the water, within the frst strip or two. 

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 15/09/2009 at 20:21 »
No fry bash at rescobie Noel, nothing but shed loads of green algae!
Would not reccomend this place just now  :z6
Lintrathen on thursday , cant wait  :z4

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #9 on: 16/09/2009 at 15:55 »
I wanna go fry bashing lol  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com