Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website.

Fishing The Fly In Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Fishing The Fly Forum « Home « The Outcasts « Next Outcast Gathering - Methlick - November 1st
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Outcast Gathering - Methlick - November 1st  (Read 16232 times)
Hares Lug
Forum Member

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »

Yes it was a hairy drive home, even with the 4WD, and on the radio this morning I hear most of the roads I travelled are now closed.

Thanks to Mike and Ben for organising the day and to Ben for some useful advice. I know I have to work on tracking this winter.

At least I didn't score 4 in the shootout. It was interesting so see the big variation in distances with the different rods and how badly I did with an all-out distance outfit.

Hears to the next time

Irvine
wind knot
Forum Member

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2009, 10:25:37 AM »

Hi Guys

Just thought id say i had a brilliant day despit the weather, 

Might have even finished up with a fish if only i stuck a fly out the back of the clio and trawled home.

Thanks to Irvine for the pint and to Mike and Ben for organising it. 

Looking forward to the next one.

Goolager
Mmmn Steak Pie
Forum Member

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2009, 21:18:54 PM »

Another successfull gathering I thought. Yeah the weather was miserable but it just made me more aware of the fact that I need a good waterproof jacket.

Nice to try a couple of different rods & lines. 5wt Scierra Ferox with s shoot line, Loomis IMX brought back fond memories, Hamish's blunderbuss, to name but a few BUT the soft and gentle feel of loveliness was trying the 9' 4wt Sage SP c/w last generation Wonderline.

The shoot out was fun with lots of grunting and fuss from the lesser techniquers like myself - it's a pride thing.

Mike, I was watching you earlier in the day and your back cast loops were as tight as a drum, even wedge like. I don't know if you were aware of it.

Great to catch up, just a pity that the weather took the edge off of things.

Iain

Give me something to flippin' aim at!
Mike Barrio
Forum Admin

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2009, 21:24:49 PM »

Mike, I was watching you earlier in the day and your back cast loops were as tight as a drum, even wedge like. I don't know if you were aware of it.

Hi Iain,

This Mike, or "windknot" Mike? ........... If it was me, then why can't I get wedgies on my forward cast lots of laughs

Sunday was awesome by the way, simply down to the great bunch of folk wink

Best wishes
Mike

www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a quality fly line!
Goolager
Mmmn Steak Pie
Forum Member

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2009, 21:46:11 PM »

You Mr B.

The reason I mention it is that watching most 'average' or 'non advanced' shall we say, casters the back cast is generally technically poorer than the forward cast (IMO).
NOW I'm neither classifying you in any casting catagory nor am I going to comment on your forward cast as I was paying very little if any attention to it - just amazed by the back cast.

Iain

Give me something to flippin' aim at!
Ben_D
Forum Moderator

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2009, 21:52:36 PM »

If it was me, then why can't I get wedgies on my forward cast lots of laughs

Sunday was awesome by the way, simply down to the great bunch of folk wink

Best wishes
Mike

Because you are hauling and rotating too early and not hauling fast enough  wink

Backcast was looking very nice and also very straight, tracking was impressive.  Now those trees have gone (& I trust they have) your backcast can only get better.

Ben 

Mike Barrio
Forum Admin

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2009, 21:54:25 PM »

You Mr B.

The reason I mention it is that watching most 'average' or 'non advanced' shall we say, casters the back cast is generally technically poorer than the forward cast (IMO).
NOW I'm neither classifying you in any casting catagory nor am I going to comment on your forward cast as I was paying very little if any attention to it - just amazed by the back cast.

Iain
Cool ..... thanks for the kind comments Iain, that makes sense cause I usually do things back to front lots of laughs

Maybe we should try doing some video next year, I suspect that most of us would benefit from seeing ourselves casting?

Best wishes
Mike

www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a quality fly line!
Bronzebommer
Forum Member

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2009, 22:19:26 PM »

Mike
Any idea when the next one will be? How about having it in Kintore, its not so far for Ben to travel (nothing to do with me living there lots of laughs)

Matt

All the gear, and nae idea.
Ben_D
Forum Moderator

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2009, 21:08:12 PM »

Is there a football (casting) field in Kintore?

Cheers

Ben

Bronzebommer
Forum Member

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2009, 16:38:04 PM »

There is a Football pitch and Cricket pitch there, more than big enough for the event. It's just behind the school.

Matt

All the gear, and nae idea.
Rob
Forum Member

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2009, 10:12:47 AM »

I think you need to "book" these pitches as they are part of the Community Centre...which is part of the School...if that makes sense....I should be at the school tonight for Pipe Band practice..I will see if anyone knows the score with booking.

Might be a small fee too, but it wont be a lot.

Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Forum moderators - Mike Barrio - Hamish - Spiderman - Ben_D

Barrio Smallstream Fly Line

The Barrio Smallstream Fly Line is now also available in olive.

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world