Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ColinC

Hello
« on: 01/09/2009 at 11:47 »
Hi All,
         just a post saying hello as im new to the forum. Was fishing at haddo yesterday managed to get a 1lb rainbow, not bad considering its my 2nd time fly fishing. I was suprised at the amount of fishing rising (my gf thought it was funny lol). Mike when u said that my(attempt) flies were too big was that the hook size or everything? Could u post some pics of flys that work so I can try and imitate? I really enjoyed my 4 hour session although it did get a little frustrating at the number of fish that would change their mind at the taking the fly at the last moment but i supose i must of been using the wrong flies.

Any other tips from anyone would be great. :z12

Rob Brownfield

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 01/09/2009 at 12:52 »
Biggest tip I can give you about Haddo is to listen to Mike ;)

I am certainly no expert on Haddo but have always done ok with flies in the size 14 and down bracket...normally buzzers (very slim) or some kind of CDC based dry.

And welcome :)

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 01/09/2009 at 18:31 »
Hi Colin Welcome to the forum.

You picked the best place to start your fishing, Mike has lots of sound advise. :z16

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2009 at 18:53 »
Colin

Welcome, my first bit of advice is , its a life long apprenticeship, you won't learn it all in one day , there are also very few absolutes in fly fishing. For Rainbows size 10 & 12 flies would be the most useful , though for dries you could go smaller depending on what they are taking.
Experiment , go up or don a size and see if that works etc
The forum is a good place to learn , just ask away. Also buy at least one of the fishing magazines , Trout Fisherman , gets a lot of bad press but is a good place to start. Also get a how to book, Stan Headley's "Loch Fishers Bible" is highly reccomeded
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loch-Fishers-Bible-Stan-Headley/dp/0709081421/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251827450&sr=8-2

:z18

Jim   

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 01/09/2009 at 23:41 »
Hi Colin ..... Welcome to the forum :z16

I'll help you out with some more pointers next time I see you :wink
Best wishes
Mike

PS: Here's your fish ...........

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com