Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Trout Master

Question
« on: 30/08/2009 at 21:08 »
Ok went fishing today using a dry fly damsel i managed to catch 2 fish but after i was just standing there watching the fly.  And instead of the fish grabing it it was sort of like playing with it.  I could still see the fly but there was just alot of disturbance around the fly it just looked like the fish was nibbling at it.  It just looked like the fish was thinkin is that fly ok to eat think il have a nipple see if its real theres no way i could of set the hook.  Cause well the fish didnt take it like a said fish was just sort of checking it out or something.  This happen to anyone else?

Jim Eddie

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: 30/08/2009 at 22:06 »
Fish will miss the fly, sometimes, they will do this with naturals as well as imitations. Try degreasing your leader, use finer tippet material , go down a size in fly.

If your fishing it static, try twitching the fly.

:z18

Jim     

Trout Master

« Reply #2 on: 30/08/2009 at 22:20 »
Ok mate thanks thats great help will try that next time

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 30/08/2009 at 22:43 »
Hi "Trout Master"
Good feedback from Jim :z16 ........... But what does your "dry fly damsel" look like? Do you mean a Daddy?

Best wishes
Mike

Trout Master

« Reply #4 on: 30/08/2009 at 23:13 »

Hear it is mate

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 31/08/2009 at 00:06 »

Here it is Mike

Thanks for posting the photo, that was a good idea and it is a nice fly!

Tricky question this one though :roll Did you actually see any trout feeding on live blue adult damsels on the day?

Although we see blue adult damsels flying around at our fisheries in large numbers at times, I don't think I have ever seen trout take any real interest in them on the surface of the water. Yes, it is a strange fly that one and I have often heard folk say that "they are tied and sold to fool the angler, not the fish"? I wonder if there is any truth in that saying.

Best wishes
Mike

Derek 365

« Reply #6 on: 31/08/2009 at 10:32 »
I've tied up some of these dry damsels and the fish show very little interest in them :cry , i'd forgot them if i were you . Ask anyone who fishes for 'bows the question "dry damsel fly OR wet damsel nymph ?" i think more than 9 out of 10 would say "nymph" :z16 .

If you're wanting as dry fly try tying a damsel nymph with a thorax cover of green or brown foam(that's worked for me) or even tie it with the foam like a suspender buzzer .

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 31/08/2009 at 10:46 »
Ahhhh..but strip them across the surface like a popper and see what happens ;)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 31/08/2009 at 13:00 »
Ahhhh..but strip them across the surface like a popper and see what happens ;)

This works  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com