Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Piper Dam 30-08-09 New
« on: 30/08/2009 at 18:17 »
Was at Piper Dam today with my club  for an outing and overall we had a good day. £20 for a 6 fish ticket and some good sport to be had.
The wind was up most of the day and luckily i got bagged up before it really started blowing.
Most fish were tight in by the bank but the odd one was taken out in open water. I opted for a cortland blue to start with and a team of blobs and cormorants. The fish all gave a good account of themselves and ended up with 6 for 14 1/4lbs.
On the downside there was a good bit of weed but overall worth a visit  :wink:

My flies that did the damage

One of the club memebers with the biggest of the day ( forum member LOSTFLY) 8lb 12oz

lostfly

Re: Piper Dam 30-08-09
« Reply #1 on: 30/08/2009 at 20:45 »
Barry you are stop on again. Conditions were tough today but never the less a good days fishing.
Personally I started off with Snowbee high density line with a team of sunburst blob, cormorant and snatcher. After one drift changed over to a quick intermediate and a pink blob, snatcher and booby. Caught the first on blob (8 3/4lb) and then another on the booby. After many hours without a touch changed back to the snowbee line and fished seed bead buzzers. First cast fish on.
Just goes to show the fish at Piper Dam are as daft as they are at Geordie's.
Pity about the weed though.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 30/08/2009 at 22:55 »
Hi guys :cool:

Thanks for the great report, it is good to see that you enjoyed yourselves on the Dam!

Nice to see the photos of the fishery too, as I haven't fished there before ....... but I'm sorry, I must confess that I don't like the last one ( the photo of the dead "trophy" fish that has obviously got discoloured by sitting around in the boat for a while ) you don't see many photos like that nowadays :oops

Best wishes
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #3 on: 30/08/2009 at 23:09 »
Hi guys :cool:

Thanks for the great report, it is good to see that you enjoyed yourselves on the Dam!

Nice to see the photos of the fishery too, as I haven't fished there before ....... but I'm sorry, I must confess that I don't like the last one ( the photo of the dead "trophy" fish that has obviously got discoloured by sitting around in the boat for a while ) you don't see many photos like that nowadays :oops

Aye weel bye i kiss o' Life that een!!!  :shock

Alex

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 30/08/2009 at 23:15 »
When its a catch and kill 6 fish ticket ( competition) obviously a fish thats been sitting in a bass bag for a few hours will get diss coloured!
Dont know why its a bad thing to see  :z8
Fish are put in to be taken out in other fisheries :z6

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 30/08/2009 at 23:34 »
Hi Baz :z16

There's no harm in keeping a fish or two for eating when you're fishing in a competition. If I remember correctly, I think Andy just started out as a novice to fly fishing last year? So I thought it might be a good idea to point out that this is not a good way to take a photo of a trout ....... perhaps some of the other club members have already given him some pointers?

Trout photos are always best taken just after they are caught, they look much prettier while they are wet and fresh :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com