Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

:z16 I am trying to put together 10ft 7/8 # Rod with everything that goes with it for Bank & Boat for stockies. As this site has many Knowledgeable men  :z14 I would like you to help me get a complete outfit together. I have £150 to £200 at a push to spend and for that i would like Rod/Reel with spare spools/Lines/Backing/loops all delivered. If anyone is at a loose end and would like to help please let me know what you would recommend as all info is greatly accepted. i have been looking at this site as lots of 1/2 price eqpt going at the moment. http://www.garryevans.co.uk/  :z14

Rob Brownfield

Re: Who Can Put The Best Outfit Together for £150-£200
« Reply #1 on: 28/08/2009 at 15:26 »
I think most would tell you that you have asked an almost impossible question. There are so many rods with so many actions that suit so many different people it makes suggesting a rod almost impossible.

However, all is not lost :) If you can get to try some of the rods you have shortlisted, then its a lot easier to start to narrow down suggestions to you.

We would also need to know if you are a complete novice, a great caster etc. as rod choice can make or break an angler. No good getting a fancy casting rod if your casting needs improving etc.

My suggestion would be to see if you can have a cast of a few rods, I believe Glasgow angling centre has a casting pool, and Orvis in Banchory can take you across the field for a cast and Mike at Haddoe has been known facilitate tries of peoples rods. Then, once you know what you are looking for, decide how much you want to spend on the rod, how much on a reel etc.

Lastly, once you have had a think, have a look at www.tacklebargins.co.uk for the gear. Sometimes you can pick up great lines, reels and rods at HUGE discounts as they are last years stock or ex-demo etc. I have saved a fortune on saltwater/pike fly lines there :)

I hope that helps a little...
Rob

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 28/08/2009 at 23:20 »
Hi Seamus :z16

How's things up north? Hope you're having a good season.

You've had some great replies to your two threads on this today ...... the only thing that I would add, is to ask if you are sure you need/want a 10ft 7/8 # Rod for the places that you fish?

I'm going to risk being totally honest here and must confess that I get nervous when I see somebody turn up at my small stillwater with a 10ft 7/8 :roll

Best wishes
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 28/08/2009 at 23:28 »
I'm going to risk being totally honest here and must confess that I get nervous when I see somebody turn up at my small stillwater with a 10ft 7/8 :roll

Best wishes
Mike

Why does this make you nervous Mike?, i fish with a 10ft 7wt the majority of the time and really only use my 5 weight for dries  :z8

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 28/08/2009 at 23:40 »
Hi Baz,
           I think that I would be nervous too.

A 7/8 wt outfit is pretty heavy for a fishery like Haddo and it's not required for most of the smaller stillwater fisheries.

I know it's sometimes recommended as a "standard" stillwater outfit. However , the stiffer rod is actually harder to learn to cast with and just leads on to casting problems , I have found .

Far better to chose a rod that bends more easily. 

Seamus, for stockie bashing you will have far more fun fishing lighter .

Cheers mate,

Paul.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 28/08/2009 at 23:50 »
For all sorts of reasons Baz, the rod is simply "overgunned" for fishing for trout on a small stillwater, unless it is in the hands of somebody that really knows what they are doing :wink ........ ( as in expert level )

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 29/08/2009 at 00:28 »
Agree totally, a #6 outfit is a far better all round choice.  Many of the 10ft #7 &#8 rods about these days are more suited to salmon fishing than they are trout imo, rods that stiff (as many of this spec are today) are simply overkill for landing trout unless it is in a competition situation where the aim is to drag in the fish asap.  I tend to chose outfits to suit what I am casting, if throwing big flies I will use a #6 line, if I am using really big flies I will still use a #6 line but one that has a taper suited to turning them over.  I usually use a #4 or #5 for trout whether at a fishery, wild loch or on the river.  for streamer / lure fishing, sea trout & summer salmon / grilse I will use a 6 and for late spring or early autumn salmon I use a 7 or 8 depending upon the size of fly I am casting unless I am fishing heavy sinking lines or on a large river when I will use a a "proper" salmon rod.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 29/08/2009 at 01:26 »
Re: "I tend to choose outfits to suit what I am casting" ..... Spot on Ben! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 30/08/2009 at 10:48 »
I blame the magazines for many of the misconceptions of rod choice, both for Trout rods and  Carp/Pike.

I also believe that manufacturers are locked into a battle with each other to produce the fastest action, furthest casting rod, designed by expert casters, which have a detrimental effect on the average angler.

I don't know of a single company (trout) that actually tests there rods on fisherman, not expert casters. Its all well and good making a rod to cast 40 yards that needs very good timing and casting technique, but faced with a cross wind, 2 or 3 flies and trout rising 15 yards out it suddenly becomes more of a hindrence than a help to an angler. How many times do you here of people having to overline there new rods to get them to feel right.

I honestly believe people would be better spending there money on casting lessons than the latest greatest rod form so and so. (says he who has bought a Helios!  :z7)

As for 10 7/8 weights, I have one, a very very good one, in its day the best on the market, but the only time it comes out is when fishing off the rocks for Mackeral..and even then its a bit to stiff and powerful....

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 30/08/2009 at 13:15 »
Not sure I agree with all of that Rob, Orvis pass their rods out to their endorsed guide network, not all Orvis endorsed guides are casting geeks and these guys then give prototypes to clients to use so angler feedback is there.  feel is very subjective thing and what is right for one may well be awful for some but, some rating has to be stamped on a blank.  Greys produce many rods that are not pokers, Orvis have many rods in their ranges that are not broomsticks either, both companies also have plenty of "GTI" rods in their ranges.  Problem is that they do not really get heard about, mags tend to over hype the virtues of broomstick style rods and tell us that we need one of these things to land a trout, another problem is that many anglers do not know how to properly use a rod to play a fish.  I do not like selling a rod to anyone unless they have cast it first and I will usually give them the choice of a couple of line weights.  Agree about the pike rods, I have often been asked for 11 weight (tarpon) rods by guys wanting to fish for pike  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 31/08/2009 at 08:10 »
Ben,
I did not mention Orvis incase I got accused of being "in there pocket" again  :wink

As you know, I know that Orvis test their rods through the guide system, and I believe at least one of those guides then passes the rods onto his clients to have a chuck about. I love the fact that most of the rods in the Orvis range have 2 different action. That Helios the Iain bought, the midflex, was a stunning rod to cast. The "fast" version I did not get on with..and I would say I was pretty used to fast action rods.

I still feel that many people buy rods on the recommendation of a magazine review, and are wholly overgunned for what they are wanting them for.....I know someone in the PFFA that uses a 12 weight Orvis fly rod for Pike...and wonders why he loses so many fish.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 31/08/2009 at 08:48 »
In Orvis pocket Rob?!!

The magazine reviews often iritate me to the point where I stop reading them, I remember one recent review stated that a particular flyline "had a tendancy towards tailing loops"  ???  That is going to be easy to digest for someone new to the sport!!  The only reviews I rate are those in ff&ft magazine, they are about as factual and objetive as you will get, I do not like comparison style reviews at all,  Best advice is still to try before you buy.

cheers

Ben

« Reply #12 on: 23/09/2009 at 09:59 »
Hi Everyone, sorry about not repling as i was away in Cuba for a couple of weeks. i ended up getting this 10' Rod so hope it was a good choice for the price  :z8 . Now i have to get the rest of the gear.

Description: Scierra EDP Fly Rods - NOW HALF PRICE - While stocks last
       Rod Choice:   10' #6/7
       Item Price:    GBP 75.00
                 Qty:    1
               Total:    GBP 75.00

Thanks to everyone for your replies and hope to get to see you at Haddo soon Mike.  :z16

Seamus

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com