Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

fixing a loose tip section??
« on: 27/08/2009 at 08:16 »
all,

looking for a bit of advice. A newly acquired rod (sn18) seems to have a loose fitting tip section -- sooner or later the tip section flies off on the forward cast. Not much warning, you feel a looseness on the forward stroke, then off it goes. I've been lucky so far in being able to catch it, but it's involved a few soakings or stumbling charges downriver. Sooner or later, it's going to disappear off the end of the leader!

I know I could simply stop and check it every few casts... but I'll forget.

I'm thinking that increasing the friction between male & female parts would help -- maybe roughening lightly with sandpaper, a thin coat varnish, then a light rough-up again. But before doing so, I'd like some thoughts, anyone?

cheers
iain

Jim Eddie

Re: fixing a loose tip section??
« Reply #1 on: 27/08/2009 at 08:23 »
Iain

You get aerosol can of spray on graphite , this might help ?

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2009 at 09:04 »
Hi Iain,
What is the female ferrule like? If it is shiney, as in finished like the rest of the rod,  then you need rod wax, I have some at home that came with my Zero Gravity you can borrow. It looks and feels just like candle wax to tell the truth, but coz its got an Orvis sticker on it it must be Voodoo ;)

Another alternative if you know a surfer or snowboarder (that would be me again then ;)) is stuff called Sex Wax. Its a sticky wax used to keep your feet on the board. Does the same thing to rod sections.

However, if the female ferrule is unfinished, ie, graphite, then wax can help, as can the graphite spray (about a fiver from most Pole fishing shops down south) or superglue, spread thinly and then lightly sanded down until it fits. DO NOT put on super glue and then stick the tip on before its dry!!..Sounds daft but I know someone who did that!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 28/08/2009 at 01:24 »
Hi Iain :z16

Bring the rod with you next time you are over and I can have a look at it for you if you like :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 28/08/2009 at 08:15 »
jim, rob, mike -- thanks for the replies. all useful (except for Rob's superglue comments - cheeky git!). not heard of spray on graphite before. will speak with mike first, it's not urgent, so no need to panic

cheers
iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com