Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

A home at last!
« on: 27/08/2009 at 02:41 »
Greetings everyone

we have finally been given our new house and all our stuff arrived safe and sound on Monday :z12
So we are living in the land of empty boxes and everything is settling into place nicely.

Its taken a few weeks but we are now starting to SEE what is around us, if you catch my meaning.
I think being a product of the in your face consumerism of the west seems to blind you to what is actually in front of you.
However i believe we are starting to acclimatise on all fronts.

We have been out fishing a few times but have to to catch anything of any report, lots of funny little things.
What i have found really cool though are all the mudskippers jumping around the margins :grin

Good job i sold the float tubes though, our fishing buddies may have had some fun with them :shock
a good reason for not float tubing :shock
We saw this guy up one of the rivers, a bit bigger than an otter :shock

Our house is great and we live next to the jungle
our new house
this is the view up the street with the jungle on the left

Makes for cool neighbours
our new neighbours :grin

Now all i have to do is dig out the flytying gear and start tying some flies for the mangroves.

Anyway i have to go back to unpacking now, but my window to the world is re-open so i can communicate with the world once more :z12

Cheers

Sandy

Iain Cameron

Re: A home at last!
« Reply #1 on: 27/08/2009 at 08:09 »
hi sandy,

nice to read that you are settling in. can you persuade your monkey neighbours to donate some hair for fly-tying? not sure if i've ever seen a fly pattern using monkey hair ...

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2009 at 09:08 »
not sure if i've ever seen a fly pattern using monkey hair ...

I believe several salmon flies used Silver Monkey in there dressing...and I think the "original" Collie Dog used Monkey, and that the Collie was substituted once Monkey became hard to get.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2009 at 09:12 »
Sandy, where abouts are you? Panaga?

Have a look in the Sungis, take a net and have a scoop about. You should get 3 spot Gouramis, Climbing Perch, several species of Barb and if around Seria, possibly Siamese Fighting Fish :) These are left over from the Chinese that used to gather and bet on the outcome of the fights. Many of the fish where released into the sungis after the fights and some survived and bred.

Was the croc on the Belait river? The world biggest saltwater croc was caught at the mouth of the Belait and now hangs in the Natural History Museum in London. Silly size, over 20 feet if I remember.

Your house looks much like the ones we lived in at Panaga...so many memories :)

Hope you are settling in well.

Rob

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 28/08/2009 at 10:30 »
Good stuff Sandy,

look forward to seeing pictures of your new tyings and various catches.

Blue Skies Dude!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com