Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

What am I?
« on: 25/08/2009 at 21:42 »
I was out for a stone throwing session with the loon at a wee river near his Grandparents and saw a quite curious beast in one of the 'rock pools' left after one of the many recent mini spates.

I have a photo of it but it's in my works phone (which is the ZX Spectrums of modern technology so I doubt the picture will be great) and I'm looking for the interface cable at the moment - don't mention bluetooth!

It was Black, around 15cm long and around the thickness of rod whipping thread. At first I thought it was a piece of thread lying in a loose tangle and being manipulated by some unseen current but it was indeed alive. I tried to see if there was some distinguishable head but I couldn't make one out. I've never seen anything remotely like it before, any ideas?

Iain

Iain Cameron

Re: What am I?
« Reply #1 on: 26/08/2009 at 07:25 »
iain, you're not hallucinating -- i saw something that sounds identical in the don near the mouth a couple of days back. Thought it was just a piece of weed, but then realised it was moving,  seemed to have a wee head. forgot to pursue what it was, so will be interesting if someone knows

cheers
iain

sightbob

« Reply #2 on: 26/08/2009 at 12:31 »
it's a horsehair worm, looks like a bit of maxima nylon.
can't remember what their purpose on earth is  :z8
 :z18
brian

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 26/08/2009 at 12:40 »
Hi Brian,

Just looked them up on the net and that's the beastie.

You live and learn - thanks

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 26/08/2009 at 14:28 »
yup, that's the beastie. They are parasites, living inside host insects until maturity, before breaking out and killing the host in the process... ugh!!!! nature is amazingly weird sometimes.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 27/08/2009 at 09:14 »
yup, that's the beastie. They are parasites, living inside host insects until maturity, before breaking out and killing the host in the process... ugh!!!! nature is amazingly weird sometimes.

A bit like a wife then ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com