Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Polarised glasses
« on: 24/08/2009 at 13:35 »
So, what do people prefer in the way of lens colour?

I am looking at buying a pair of cocoons and cant decide on lens colour. I am leaning towards Amber...any thoughts?

lenap

Re: Polarised glasses
« Reply #1 on: 24/08/2009 at 15:12 »
true gray is the best overall for bright light to afternoon and evening shade, going to a lighter shade will heighten or briten the view. simple base line, darker for bright conditions, lighter for darker and shadows. pete

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2009 at 16:23 »
Rob,

I use amber most of the time and find that they cover the light conditions at these latitiudes the best.  They even seem to brighten up a dull day.

Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 24/08/2009 at 16:39 »
Rob,

With our weather go for amber, grey cuts out too much light for me in most conditions although contrast enhancement is more important to me.  I have got Oakley shallow blue lenses at the moment which are great but scratch far too easily.  Looking at a pair of glasses with rose coloured glass lenses for my next pair, recomended for flats fishing but they give great contrast when looking into rivers too.

Cheers

Ben

Richard Tong

« Reply #4 on: 24/08/2009 at 18:39 »
Ben,

I have 2 pairs of Maui Jims and having spent a small fortune on various makes over the years,rate them the best that I have tried. Got a pair 7 or 8 years ago with rose coloured lenses and bendable titanium legs -that are so comfortable that when you have them on you almost forget they are there-they were exorbitantly priced and I seem to recall getting them at a Game Fair for appx £180 which was a 20% reduction I think! However I would not recommend them for UK fishing. Paul got a pair after I 'road tested' mine and neither of us wears them in the UK,they just cut out too much light! They are ideal for flats though. The pair that I do use are Maui Jim Ho'okipas in HCL Bronze lens. They are very comfortable,light,do not come off the bridge of your nose even when sweating (rubber nose pads). Paul uses the same I think-they are great! Currently on sale at Sportfish for £122 so they are not cheap but they tick all the boxes! In the catalogue they are sold as bi-focals but the ones we have are not bi-focals so they must be able to get normal ones,

Richard

Richard Tong

« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2009 at 19:48 »
............meant to mention that I have a very good pair of Scierra amber lensed glasses which I bought from Mullarkeys online. I use them for evening fishing. From memory they cost about £25-£30 and compare favourably with the Maui Jims!

Richard

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 24/08/2009 at 21:55 »
Interesting stuff..... I have of light bronze polarised tints (courtesy of Boots @ £25 a pair) which are OK for general use, but my second pair aren't a patch on the first :roll Still better than the Bolles I used to use  :z10
However, the good lady wife bought me a pair of non-gay 'rose' tints for my birthday (under the guidance on one Ben Dixon of Orvis...... with a degree of testing by me) which I'm getting on with in variable light conditions just perfectly. Good balance in all but the very weakest of light, like them hugely.
Have a look for HVO Tri-Spectrum, nice shades with a hint of 'terminator' about them which is suitably menacing  :wink

Alex Burnett

« Reply #7 on: 24/08/2009 at 22:39 »
When I was out with a guide in Tasmania last year I tried a pair of Spotters Sunglasses with Bronze Polarised Photochromic Penetrator lenses & just had to have a pair, will admit they are not cheap  :shock but worth every penny :wink

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 27/08/2009 at 09:18 »
My problem is I am a specci git so cannot just go and use any off the shelf glasses, I either have to spend a fortune and get a pair made up (hence wanting to make sure I get the right coloured lens) or rely on glasses that go over mine. So far none have been great in that department, although I believe the Cocoons are meant to be fantastic.

I placed Ians glasses over mone the other day when out sea trouting and was amazed at the difference to the prescription ones I was wearing.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #9 on: 28/08/2009 at 08:26 »

I placed Ians glasses over mone the other day when out sea trouting and was amazed at the difference to the prescription ones I was wearing.

My glasses (to which Rob referred) are Maui Jims, Kona model. I liked them so much I bought a 2nd pair, which is recommendation enough. Super light, good fit, can wear them all day, and suitable for regular day to day driving, travel, out and about use too.  Brownish lenses. only problem is night fishing (well, duh!, who wears sunglasses at night anyway)

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 28/08/2009 at 10:26 »
(well, duh!, who wears sunglasses at night anyway)

The Blues Brothers :?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 28/08/2009 at 10:27 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com