Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Cracked fly line
« on: 18/08/2009 at 18:17 »
I just noticed my floater is cracked where the braided loop stops, the rest of it looks ok i was wondering if it would be ok to cut off the bad bit and stick on another loop would only be loosing approx 3" max or is it tme to replace the whole line, its approx a year and half old?

:z18

Dave

Jim Eddie

Re: Cracked fly line
« Reply #1 on: 18/08/2009 at 18:54 »
Dave

If the rest of the line is OK , should not be a problem cutting off 3" and puting on another loop.

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 18/08/2009 at 19:53 »
Hi Dave,

Put the loop on but cut it quite short and then whip on with tying thread.  Do not use superglue or the plastic sleeve that comes with the loop, use aquasure over the whippings instead, this will flex with the line rather than the line flexing against the plastic sleeve causing the line to crack.

Even better method but more time consuming is is to strip the coating off the last 1" of the line and whip back against the line to form loop then coat the whipping and the exposed core that is now your loop in aquasure, this is Paul Procters method and it works well.

Either way should eliminate the problem or at least give you longer before it occurs again.

Cheers

Ben

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 18/08/2009 at 21:59 »
 :z18 guys will give it a go, i think it may have been the glue that caused the problem in the first place :oops

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 18/08/2009 at 23:05 »
Hi Dave

The braided loops plastic sleeve and superglue problem is a very common one ....... Great advice from Ben :z16

Best wishes
Mike

lenap

« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2009 at 15:27 »
the nail knot is the best to use if you are not going back to the slide on braided loop. its only a matter of the amount of casts that you put thru a line, no matter what it costs you should do a regular inspection and clean and dress your line for smooth and reliable casting. you can pick up a nail knot tool at your fly shop along with instructions, once you try it ,its a great option to the dreaded braided loop cracking. pete

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com