Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Trout Master

Thinking About Buying A New Rod
« on: 11/08/2009 at 23:23 »
A Greys rod as iv been told there a realy good rod does anyone own a one im thinking about getting this one http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-gb/products/rods/single-handed/grxi/ .  I dont know a whole lot about the diffrent typs of rods so can someone explain what the
Rating,Sections and the Handle youl see wot i mean on the site.  Im after a 9-10ft rod also on the site i dont know where it tells you what WF (wighet forward) line the rod takes.  And could someone tell me what reel i would need to but for it thanks.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Thinking About Buying A New Rod
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2009 at 12:45 »
Easy....

Rating...thats is your WF figures. A rating of #7/8 would traditionally mean the rod is suitable for a double taper 7 or a weight forward 8 line.

Sections....2 means the rod comes in 2 pieces, 3, means three pieces etc etc. The more pieces means a shorter rod to carry in the car.

Handle.... RHW means a Regular (i think) Half Wells....normally on lighter rods. Basically the handle is tapered towards the tip for delicate casting. FW is Full Wells...ie, a parrallel handle for heavier work and all day casting...the +EH is for Extension Handle...ie, about an inch or so of cork sticking out the bottom of the handle.

So..if you where looking at say the GRXI008, its 9 and a half feet long, takes a doubel taper 6 or a weight forward 7, comes in 3 sections and has a handle designed for general casting with an extention.

As for rels...stay on the Greys website and look for a reel that matches the rods rating...I like large arbor reels..but its a personnal thing :)

Trout Master

« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2009 at 22:30 »
Thats great mate thanks for the help  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 14/08/2009 at 08:12 »
Pleasure..any time :)

Mike Heritage

« Reply #4 on: 15/08/2009 at 14:35 »
Choose a better rod than the GRXi though :grin

Mike

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 15/08/2009 at 20:49 »
  Just something else to consider Troutmaster, everybody has different opinions and abilities I would strongly advise that you try the rod (if not several within your price range) and see how you get on with it before you part with your hard earned.  I know from my own experience that the dearest rods on the Market are not necessarilly the best rods for everybody etc etc try out a few see how you get on then take it from there, just my 2pence worth ofcourse but it certainly won't do you any harm.

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com