Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Big Fly- Pike / Cold Saltwater Lines
« on: 11/08/2009 at 20:51 »
My mate has never fished for Mackerel before , so I took him down to the break-water tonight , set him up with a spinning rod and some Mackerel feathers.

I took the 9wt and my new line from John Norris for a few casts, the lines are selling for £9.99 which is a real bargain  :z16 I was fishing the floater which is probably not the best line to fish off the break-water with but it did exactly what it said on the tin (ok the box) handled big flies with ease , no memory , I,m a decidedly average caster but was able to see the backing coming out of the tip ring. It was an ideal night for fishing , tide was on the wane though , no Mackerel about  :z6 There was one lady fishing further along had a 7/8lb Cod , apparently despite the fact the Macks are scarce there are plenty of Sandeels about which are attracting the Cod.

The lady sportingly returned the Cod  :z16

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_236-fly-fishing-lines/5458-john-norris-flyline-range-big-fly-pike-cold-saltwater.html

:z18

Jim     

Paul Rankine

Re: Big Fly- Pike / Cold Saltwater Lines
« Reply #1 on: 11/08/2009 at 21:19 »
Hi Jim,

Nice One  !  Total bargain. At that price you could get an intermediate too . Pity there are no H-Di's eh ?

Mackies are very scarce indeed this year it seems. I wonder if the pursers have been at them .
Silly question !

Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2009 at 22:21 »
Sounds like a bargain Jim cheers :z16
Have been out last two weekends with the beachcaster and not even seen a mackie yet. Yes the fly rod came along on every trip just in case :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2009 at 22:39 »
Plenty Mackerel being caugh down by stonehaven, so i have been hearing anyway  :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 12/08/2009 at 08:45 »
hi jim

i thought you looked familiar-ish -- i was on the breakwater for an hour or so last night, after spending the afternoon chasing flatties on the beach furhter north - i saw you fly fishing, and thought "good effort!" not the easiest thing to do. I was waiting with interest to see how you would haul a fish up with a fly rod... 

I saw the woman landing the cod (it did look pretty big for a mackie!).

I had a couple of mackerel from the inside of the breakwater the other day, and someone had 5 or so yesterday on the outer edge. I don't sea fish often, so no idea if the numbers are low.  Just a bit of fun, trying something new for the day.

cheers
iain

Kev Danby

« Reply #5 on: 12/08/2009 at 09:19 »
There are macks about i had a dozen from a boat out of boddam on sat, no bass from the outfall it was'nt working on the Saturday i had one follow the fly but that was it apart from a couple of scorpion fish and a blenny on a limpet.

If anyone is up for a seafishing session on the breakwater I'd be up for it.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 12/08/2009 at 12:29 »
I,m a decidedly average caster but was able to see the backing coming out of the tip ring.

Thats because they are 28 yard lines ;) :wink :z4 :z4....(33 yards really  :grin)

A lot of the PFFA lot use them and like you say, they are a cracking line...rumours have it that they will not be available for much longer..hence the reason they price has dropped to a tenner. :( Rumour also has it that they are the no longer available  Shakespeare "Predator" lines reboxed, which is certainly no bad thing.

Also worth looking at are the Airflo (its ok...keep reading, they are not like the freshwater lines) Cold Water Striper lines. I have the floater, clear intermediate, glow in the dark intermediate and the slow sink 3. Made for the US market for surf casting Clousers and baitfish imitations to Stripped Bass.

They are extremely good lines and really do work well in cold salt water, no coiling or memory. If you get from Tacklebargins they are £14 brand new or £8 if you dont mind ex-display without the box. Retail is normally £45 so a HUGE saving.

If you are feeling rich, then the Rio Outbounds are superb for casting heavy flies a loooong way into the wind.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 12/08/2009 at 12:35 »
I had a couple of mackerel from the inside of the breakwater the other day

I hope that was on your Helios!!!! Still not had mine out the damn bag yet!!..soon!!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 14/08/2009 at 18:31 »
hi jim

i thought you looked familiar-ish -- i was on the breakwater for an hour or so last night, after spending the afternoon chasing flatties on the beach furhter north - i saw you fly fishing, and thought "good effort!" not the easiest thing to do. I was waiting with interest to see how you would haul a fish up with a fly rod... 

I saw the woman landing the cod (it did look pretty big for a mackie!).

I had a couple of mackerel from the inside of the breakwater the other day, and someone had 5 or so yesterday on the outer edge. I don't sea fish often, so no idea if the numbers are low.  Just a bit of fun, trying something new for the day.

cheers
iain

Iain

You should have come over and had a chat , It did cross my mind it was you but I was not 100% sure so did not want to make a plonker of myself in speaking to a stranger  :z4

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 14/08/2009 at 19:26 »
did not want to make a plonler of myself in speaking to a stranger

Jim the last thing you need is to appear a plonler in front of a stranger.  :z7

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 14/08/2009 at 19:51 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 Ian , plonler is Czech for plonker  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com