Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Worm/Paracite in bow at Fedderate
« on: 09/08/2009 at 20:00 »
Was out at the Fedderate on Sat first time iv'e been there since i were a lad, banks and dam wall well out of controll used to be kept like a lawn.

Any way it was bright all day some fish rising tried everything not even a knock so decided to go to the dam put on an intermediate with Cats Whisker managed 4 fish :z16 had to return 2 as they were only about 8" long :! kept 2 of bout 1lb each (freezer running low).

When i got home i cleaned them but one of them when i took out the guts i noticed between the thin membrane that separates the stomach cavity and the bit along the spine with the thick blood in it that there was small approx 20mm long by approx 1mm wide worm things they were sort of white/opaque in color. what would these have been would it be a cause of concern for the rest of the fish :?

:z18

Dave

Jim Eddie

Re: Worm/Paracite in bow at Fedderate
« Reply #1 on: 10/08/2009 at 18:21 »
Dave

Paul would be the resident expert on fish parasites , I'm pretty sure they are harmless though as long as the fish is cooked.
Were they Browns or Bows ?

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 10/08/2009 at 19:20 »
Dave

Paul would be the resident expert on fish parasites , I'm pretty sure they are harmless though as long as the fish is cooked.
Were they Browns or Bows ?

Jim

As for being "pretty sure" I'm not taking the risk on that one.

It was Bows i caught but i seen a Brownie lying sunning it's self about 10ft from the bank must have been at least 7lb, I cast my fly out to it but it wasn't interested it didn't spook either as one of my casts landed on its back and it didn't even flinch the b***er was just lying there laughing at me.

Was nice to see all the same though.

Would be interesting to know what the parasites was though.

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 10/08/2009 at 19:49 »
As for being "pretty sure" I'm not taking the risk on that one.

It was Bows i caught but i seen a Brownie lying sunning it's self about 10ft from the bank must have been at least 7lb, I cast my fly out to it but it wasn't interested it didn't spook either as one of my casts landed on its back and it didn't even flinch the b***er was just lying there laughing at me.

Was nice to see all the same though.

Would be interesting to know what the parasites was though.

Dave

Dave

I take it you have eaten a fish supper ? If so you have already eaten fish with parasitic worms , Cod and Haddock are full of them , ask any commercial fisherman.
If you are really concered about it and don't want to take a chance just bin it.

http://community.rivercottage.net/users/jimsplot/forums/wild-food-and-the-marine-larder/viewtopic/topic_id:7622

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 10/08/2009 at 21:59 »
Hi all,
        Without seeing them hard to say exactly but they sound like nematodes.

Many species of nematodes.

Anisakis sp. is the cod worm ,(also found in all gadoids) , other stages in seagulls and seals. Probably the biggest and known to infect humans , if adults or eggs not killed by cooking. This is a marine species and does not occurr in freshwater.

There are a large number of freshwater nematodes which are found in many freshwater fish species including trout. These have not been found harmful to humans . No evidence yet anyway.
Best advice is to discard fish with them if you are worried. Most are found in the viscera anyway. Some do encyst in fish flesh though.

Nematodes are fascinating in that they are found in every environment known to man , even in high temperature mud geysers where that species seems to survive the cooking ............... 

The Japanese , like the Dutch, have high infection rates of many parasitic worms , nematodes and tapeworms, due to their fondness for raw fish , Sushi and raw herring , cases in point.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 11/08/2009 at 18:14 »
Yep binned it already.

They looked almost like these http://www.afmb.univ-mrs.fr/IMG/jpg/nematodes-2.jpg

Dave

Bronzebommer

« Reply #6 on: 11/08/2009 at 19:05 »
When Sea fishing I would sometimes catch fish (usually Cod) with worms in. After I filleted them I would hold the fillets up to the light and any worms could be easily spotted and removed. Maybe a bit harder on Trout though. :z4

Paul Rankine

« Reply #7 on: 11/08/2009 at 20:42 »
Dave,
         Aye, that's the wee blighters.
I remember one of my earliest jobs in the Marine Lab was to fillet cod and count the number of Anisakis cysts in them to estimate worm loadings in the commercial catches. If you think that was bad I also had to dissect seals from the bag nets (shot ) remove the stomachs and count the adult Anisakis in them . Some seals had hundreds and they would grow as big as lobworms .
 All writhing away in one big ball .
 Lovely !  :z4

Dave Mundie

« Reply #8 on: 11/08/2009 at 20:58 »
So would the other fish be likely to get infected also or is it just some and not others that get infected?
I understand that the Fedderate is stocked from Forgue not sure but did i not read or hear not too long ago that there was some disease or somthing with the fish from them?

Dave

Paul Rankine

Re: Worm/Parasite in bow at Fedderate
« Reply #9 on: 11/08/2009 at 21:13 »
Hi Dave,
            Infection occurrs by fish ingesting nematode eggs.

Some fish do and get infected others don't and don't.

Most fish populations will have a percentage of fish with nematodes which show seasonal and sometimes yearly fluctuations.

Jedi and I were at Federrate about two weeks ago and none of the fish we kept, (lovely silver rainbows I might add) had nematodes.

salar35

« Reply #10 on: 20/08/2009 at 15:14 »
I understand that the Fedderate is stocked from Forgue not sure but did i not read or hear not too long ago that there was some disease or something with the fish from them?

We stock several times per year from Forgue and have done so over many seasons..........invariably an  :grin excellent quality of trout with no problems. One of our fisheries is a crystal-clear flooded quarry where - unlike for example a bank-level peaty fishery where fish may die off unnoticed - ill etc fish can be spotted very quickly from the cliff edges (eg an outbreak of diplostomnulum eye fluke twenty years ago), and remedial action taken. I am with most of the posters........parasites are a fishy fact of life. 

Digressing slightly, I remember forty years ago at Auldearn, gathering fantastic brandling worms from a dung heap where the farmer mixed human faeces with livestock excrement to spread it on his fields.......and he had to stop the practice because it was spreading tapeworm parasites to his cattle........from the human shit!!!!!!  Cheers.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com