Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Waulkmill
« on: 14/07/2009 at 18:58 »
Fished Waulkmill today , took me a while to find out what they were on , they were taking flies off the surface but being very selectivee.
Actually it was the old boy fishing next to me who sussed it , he put on an  dry Iron Blue Dun 16# and had a couple so I followed suit.
Only frustration today was the amount of break off's I had, I'm sure I'm like everyone else and hate it when this happens.
I  use a figure of 8 knot for the droppers , have done this for years , Berlin (Carl Hutchison) did a step  by step on the fly Fishing forum years ago.

Don't know whay suddenly I was getting snapped off at the dropper knot :mad   no excuse but some of the fish today were so powerful I just had to let them run.

Maybe I'll change my tippet material and go back to a water knot.

:z18

Jim

Irvine Ross

Re: Waulkmill
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2009 at 19:29 »
Jim

I've noticed once or twice they liked to come up with the sun behind them so, if you are standing back to the sun, they are heading away from you as they take the fly. If they are lying deep and coming up in a hurry that can put a bit of a strain on the tippet and the knots.

Have you given up on the leader rings?

Irvine

Jim Eddie

Re: Waulkmill
« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2009 at 19:59 »
Hi Irvine

Now there's a thing , not given up. tied a leader with them used it for a while and kind of forgot about them (note to self) look out the safety pin with the rings on.

Thanks for jogging the memory Ivine.

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com