Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Sloanes...
« on: 02/07/2009 at 13:20 »
WHats happening with the place..just been in, half the shelves are empty, stocks extremely low of hooks, lures, line etc. some things seemed to be much cheaper than they should be and when I got a bag to put my bits and bobs in it said "Watsons Iron Mongers" on the side???????

j.r fartley

Re: Sloanes...
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/2009 at 13:22 »
i hardly ever go there anymore,selection is really poor,is it maybe more shooting orientated? :z8

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 02/07/2009 at 13:34 »
Watsons is part of the Sloanes 'group' of companies so the bag thing is explainable.
I have to say that I had also noted a substantial run-down on things 'fishy' the last time I visited Sloanes, surprising when you consider they are still one of the principal retailers of fishing tickets on the Don system.

Hamish  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 02/07/2009 at 15:18 »
Tiz a shame as I have picked up some really unique items there over the years, from size 20 spade end match hooks to unusual fly tying items.

As Hamish says, you would think it would not be to difficult to have a really good fishing section.

Having said that, its the first time in about 4 years that I have been in and not been dripped on by the leaking roof!!

Duncan McRae

« Reply #4 on: 02/07/2009 at 16:17 »
Rob

Yes it is a great shame.Sloans used to be really first class.

I would imagine that most of their angling customers fish the Don and with spinning out of favour on most Don beats,then there is little demand for the lures,plugs etc which made up a big percentage of their stock.
I still think that their selection of flies is pretty good.

Duncan

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 02/07/2009 at 23:01 »
Rob

Yes it is a great shame.Sloans used to be really first class.

I would imagine that most of their angling customers fish the Don and with spinning out of favour on most Don beats,then there is little demand for the lures,plugs etc which made up a big percentage of their stock.
I still think that their selection of flies is pretty good.

Duncan

I would agree they do have a good stock of flies and they are pretty cheap too. But their stock does seem to be being run down. They still give out good advice though.

( edit = move quote closing html, so that reply is not within the quote )

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com