Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Brown nylon
« on: 17/06/2009 at 23:14 »
Hi folks :cool:

I saw a clear (excuse the pun) case of fish shying away from brown nylon at the fishery once again today.

Most anglers were catching fish in good numbers, but despite quite a few suggestions of flies and tactics from myself and checking leader diameter and length etc, two anglers were struggling to catch anything and having started at around 10am ..... one of them had still not netted a fish at 4pm :z6

Then I suddenly realised they were using brown nylon (don't know why I didn't ask this before :oops ) which in my experience over the years ..... is a big no no for trout, fine for salmon but not much use for trout fishing.

I suggested replacing it with clear and within minutes, they were catching fish and getting lots of takes! They fished for about an hour or so longer and ended up with 7 fish each.

One to remember :wink
Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

Re: Brown nylon
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2009 at 08:22 »
When I were a lad(use a yorkshire accent Mike) Maxima was the only nylon we could afford, the origonal brown stuff. Because we were in the main spinning & bait fishing it's kinking problems were legendary. Also when spinning in clearer water the number of boils & follows we had were numerous. Eventually I ditched maxima and would rather not fish than use it, or any other dark nylon.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 18/06/2009 at 08:24 »
Very very interesting indeed. For years I swore by Maxima Cameleon..and you don't get much browner than that stuff. Have also used brown and black Sylcast and brown Berkley Big Game in breaking strains of around 10-17lb without batting an eyelid. (Carp and Pike)

The Maxima was always a prefered choice for fly fishing as it was so reliable knot wise.

I tried the clear Maxima but did not likem it as much. I left the Pink stuff well alone!

I do occasionaly do silly things like try diferent lines in my aquarium and what is noticable is that under "white light" (9600k) most lines appear pretty much the same but under "blue light" (14000K+)...simulating around 3 metres down (coral reef stuff so lots or research done on colour wave lengths etc by the lighting manufacturers) lines with a brown/red tinge turn almost black.

That red line from TFGear (Matt Hayes) that is meant to be "invisible" under water stands out as if someone has drawn a black line with a felt tip pen!!

Thought provoking thread Mike :)

clark

« Reply #3 on: 18/06/2009 at 20:09 »
I think it might depend on the water clarity of the fishery. The adaa has the new parkhill fishery and it is very peaty and dark. My mate swears by maxima brown 6lb and jesus christ does he catch fish ! I have only ever used clear lines when fishing. Last time we were out it was boiling hot, The sun shined really brightly and he was getting loads of fish still where as i struggled with the fish it ended up my 6 fish to his 11! Now i dont now if this was dont to my line giving off glare or some colour change under water which put them off but they certainly seemed to like his flies better ( we were using the exact same flies).

best regards,
calum

sightbob

« Reply #4 on: 19/06/2009 at 22:06 »
i had the same problem at delgatie mike, i was always telling people not to use it unless i didn't like them  :z7 :z7 :z4 :z4 :z4.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2009 at 22:30 »

The Maxima was always a prefered choice for fly fishing as it was so reliable knot wise.

That'll be because they grossly overestimated the breaking strain of the nylon. 3lb maxima being as thick as 5-6lb of other brands.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com