Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

slippy

bloodworm/buzzer larvae
« on: 12/06/2009 at 18:22 »

Hi all.
         Question for the entomologists among you. What determines the size of midge larvae in a fishery or water?
         I have a small garden pond which was cleared by a heron last year  :z10 and have not bothered to do anything with it yet. Have been watching stuff hatching in it and they range from 6/8mm to * where's me specs *. Tis a bizarre question I know but when I'm not fishing I'm usually thinking about it, and how to catch the b****rs.

any info welcome,   :z18 and regards to all, derek

clark

Re: bloodworm/buzzer larvae
« Reply #1 on: 12/06/2009 at 19:15 »
I would think it would be to do with the codition of the water and the climate. Different species live in different waters and hatch in different conditions aswell. One day i remember i was fishing a big wave the whole day and massive black buzzers were coming off, then in the evening on of that very same day the wind died off the black buzzers stoped hatching and olive ones started to hatch !!! Its just a case of finding one of the blighters on the water and matching your imitation against the real thing.

calum

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2009 at 23:59 »
Slippy Derek

I don't know but if I had to guess it'd be down to species/ development stage / environment quality.

as you say they do come in various sizes

Iain

slippy

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2009 at 09:40 »

Thanks fellas. I wondered if depth of water was a factor. Anyway watching these things come off is amazing. One last evening turned an almost kingfisher blue just before hatching. I knew about the orange/red bloodrush but blue???, anyone seen anything like that before?

*wanders off thinking blueish shipmans thoughts*  ::)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2009 at 12:16 »
Was all they wee beasts on your tube taken after a trip on Loiriston?
Hmmm that dont look to fun  :shock

slippy

« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2009 at 15:33 »

nah bigtroot, just seen in my garden, anyway what or where is loiriston.

regards, derek  :?

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2009 at 15:43 »
Loiriston Loch is just in between Altens Ind Est and Cove!
Tickets can be gained from Sommers fishing tackle shop  :wink

slippy

« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2009 at 15:58 »

ahh cheers buddy :z18, I wondered whether it it was a drink, school, or something the kids smoked these days  :z4 :z4.
  I'm down south in cheshire so never get north of edinburgh. blue colour of buzzer intrigues me though,  :?
     regards derek,  :z18

clark

« Reply #8 on: 16/06/2009 at 17:52 »
You should check out Davie Mcphails blue buzzer. That could be a killer  :z16 he has got all his vids on you tube.

calum

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com