Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stevie j

Loch Watten / St Johns
« on: 08/06/2009 at 18:24 »
Hi Lads and Lassies , Will be going up to fish Loch Watten ( 2 days ) and St johns ( 2 days ) at the end of month
                             i will be popping in to see hugo ross on the saturday when we get there but was wondering
                             if anybody had some info they would like to share . First time up , i have been told its quite
                             shallow so a floater is all that should be needed . Any flies i should be tying

Thanks in advance Stevie j

esoxfly

Re: Loch Watten / St Johns
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2009 at 19:38 »
Hi Stevie,

I'm really jealous - 2 days on 2 of the best lochs in Caithness!  :z15 :z15 :z15

Only fished Watten once and did OK:

Much bigger fish in there and a very interesting place to fish.  Lots of big limestone outcrops sub-surface so be careful if using an outboard.  An outboard is really essential as the loch is very exposed.  Apparently it fishes well all over and there's usually plenty of space.  
Hugo will keep you right with current taking fly patterns.   :z16

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

:z18
Chris

Stevie j

« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2009 at 19:55 »
A few of them will do Chris , Will be taking the camera as well as the gear so hopefully will have a good report to put up when i return

All the best

Stevie..

rattrala

« Reply #3 on: 27/06/2009 at 21:33 »
Also going up to fish Loch Watten in early July, we have booked a boat for two days but was wondering if they allowed float tubing up there?

Any info on popular patterns up there just now?

Lloyd

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 27/06/2009 at 21:56 »
Friends of mine tubed it a few times so must be ok I guess.

rattrala

« Reply #5 on: 27/06/2009 at 22:00 »
Cheers for that, I will be packing the tube to give it a try when I am up there , comfier than sitting on a boat all day!

Lloyd

rattrala

« Reply #6 on: 28/06/2009 at 05:38 »
Found this on the Hug Ross website:-

Popular patterns :-Sedgehogs in Claret & Olive, Loch Ordie Muddler, Watten Warrior, Ke-He, Dirty Weeker, Snatchers in various colours, also Kate Maclaren. 

Loch Information:- Being the most productive and famous of all the Caithness Lochs, Loch Watten is regarded by many anglers as "The Leven of the North". This natural and unspoiled loch attracts many visitors year after year to fish for real "wild" brown trout.

The crystal clear water with a lime rich base, and an average depth of 7-8 foot is a fly fishers dream, with 90% of the sport being floating lines and top of the water techniques. Fishing by boat is most productive and an outboard motor and drogue is recommended as Watten is 3 miles long by ¼ mile wide.

The average weight of the trout are about 1lb and are blood red in colour but most daily baskets host a few in the 1½ - 2lb bracket. Every season provides a few trophy fish in the 3-4lb range and can be as silver as a sea trout or a true "yellow belly" brownie with big red spots 

Lloyd

rattrala

« Reply #7 on: 25/07/2009 at 12:18 »
Some pic's from my trip up to Caithness last week. Fished Loch watten and some smaller hill loch,s.

See attached pic's.

Loch Watten

Hard fighting , beautifully marked fish average  1lb

Loch Stemster

Flat calm, loads of midgies, lots of rising trout average 1/2lb. Shallow limestone loch - very clear water. Fished from the float tube . Glorious evening!!

Loch Shalachaid

Overcast with heavy showers, fished from the float tube but nearly all the fish were caght within 30 feet from the bank.

True hill loch with very dark peaty water and fish average 1/4-1/2lb

Evening Rise on Watten

Lloyd

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 25/07/2009 at 16:11 »
Great pictures Lloyd,
Stemster could have been done with a bit of breeze perhaps.

Just what I needed to whet the appetite as the tube's in dry dock.

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 25/07/2009 at 19:32 »
Aye Lloyd

Smashing pictures , thanks for sharing your experences with us, bonnie troot.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 26/07/2009 at 00:09 »
Hi Lloyd

Great photos ( reduce them to 700 pixels wide max for forum use to stop the side scrolling :wink ) beautiful trout in magic surroundings!

Re: "the tube's in dry dock" ...... this is something that we need to think about folks :roll I would suggest that we need to put some thought in to using our float tube on more than one water and be careful not to spread parasites etc. A float tube can transfer these problems just as easily as nets and waders :shock

Do any of the forum members currently take any precautions with this?

Sorry for bringing this up here Lloyd, but it is a subject that I have been meaning to raise for a while :z6

Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #11 on: 26/07/2009 at 07:28 »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...nope, but I'll need to do that. :oops

Mind you if you're in the hills and are fishing 3 or 4 lochs in one day it's not really practical. ???

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 26/07/2009 at 10:11 »
I hadn't given it much thought but would be prepared to use any treatment that was advised.

Iain

rattrala

« Reply #13 on: 02/08/2009 at 01:03 »
Reference your post in the Loch Watten / St johns thread regarding disinfecting of float tubes.

Quote "Re: "the tube's in dry dock" ...... this is something that we need to think about folks I would suggest that we need to put some thought in to using our float tube on more than one water and be careful not to spread parasites etc. A float tube can transfer these problems just as easily as nets and waders
Do any of the forum members currently take any precautions with this?"

I know you are proud of the quality of your fish and fishery, “quite rightly so” and can see where you are coming from with regard to your question.
Many fisheries have chemical baths for nets etc. or foot dips for anglers to help prevent transference of diseases or parasites. And you provide dedicated landing nets for anglers to use when at Haddo. If they are / were available at fisheries I will / would happily use the facility to help prevent any spread of pathogens. As would all true anglers as we want to preserve the sport we have.

Not having been fishing out of this country I can say I do not regularly disinfect any of my "tackle" prior to going fishing in Scotland. I don’t think many people do, unless specifically requested by fishery owners or have been fishing in any foreign country. Most Salmon beats request you fill in a form to declare that if you have been fishing out with the UK that you have your “tackle” disinfected and some local tackle shops provide this service at a cost. This is mainly to prevent the introduction of invasive non-native species i.e. GS parasite and such like.

I could only find two tackle shops in the Aberdeenshire area that provide such a service and were Somers Fishing Tackle and the Orvis shop at Banchory. Didn’t find out how much this cost.

There has been recently a major imitative launched by the River and Fisheries Trust to combat the spread on invasive “Alien” Species. See attached link:- http://www.rafts.org.uk/FileLibrary/Biosecurity%20Planning%20Project/RAFTS%20Biosecurity%20Press%20Release%20210509.pdf

I know recently in England that coarse fisheries have been having a problem with the KHV virus of carp and the fishery owners quite rightly are requesting all anglers to disinfect their tackle prior to fishing different venues.

Pathogens that need to be killed by disinfection of tackle include IPN (Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis) and ISA (Infectious Salmon Anaemia viruses) of salmonoids, carp dropsy and KHV ( Koi Herpes Virus) of carps, the BKD bacterium and the gyrodactylus salaris parasite. All of these can cause serious diseases in wild fishes as well as fisheries or fish farms. All can be spread with fish mucus , blood or scales, parasites on tackle or waders etc.

I have had a look into this and really to be 100% "Bio-secure" all your tackle - rods, lines, reels , leader, flies, boots, waders , fins ,float tubes ( anything that gets wet )would have to be disinfected when moving from one Loch or fishery to another. It is also recommended that all anglers disinfect their fishing equipment once a year as a minimum, even if the only ever fish the same venue.

Chemical listed are as follows: - minimum soak time of 10 minutes.
1) Virkon ® Aquatic 1% solution
2) Wescodyne 1% solution
3) Sodium Chloride 3% solution ( Common salt )
4) Sodium hydroxide 0.2%

Some other options are listed on various gyrodactylus salaris declaration forms I have seen. They include:-
1) Either that or all the tackle etc would have to be completely dried at a minimum of 20 degrees c for two a minimum of 2 days.
2) Heated to above 60 degrees C for minimum of 1 hour.
3) Deep freezing to -20 degrees C for 24 hours

The only disinfectant that is recommended in all countries with tackle disinfection regulations is Virkon (R) Aquatic, which was specially formulated for destroying fish pathogens. Note the word regulations; in some countries you won’t get your “tackle” past the airport security unless you have a valid certificate of disinfection from a vet.

Extract from Bradan Limited website “ The complete biosecurity solution” below.

"The disinfectant must be freshly made up as a 1% solution. This is best achieved by adding Virkon (R) Aquatic tablets to " fresh" water in a plastic bucket, or other container, at a rate of two tablets per litre (2 pints) of fresh water. Once the tablets have dissolved, the "TACKLE" ( reels, lines, nets, waders, flies ,float tube) should be immersed for in the disinfectant. Rods should be wiped down with a wet cloth, well soaked in the 1% solution. After immersion for five minutes, the tackle can be rinsed in "tap" water and wiped down with a dry cloth. Reels should be immersed in fresh tap water after disinfection to ensure all disinfectant is removed from the mechanism and thoroughly dried. Note Rubber gloves should be worn when handling the 1% disinfectant.
Provided the footbath retains its reddish colour it is still strongly virucidal and bactericidal. Once it becomes greyish brown then its activity is failing and it should be emptied cleaned and reloaded with fresh 1% Virkon® Aquatic."

Would imagine this would be a time consuming and possibly costly exercise and unless readily available at fisheries, at minimal cost, I could not see individuals doing this unless it became a fishery rule as it has currently for most rivers only “IF” you have been fishing foreign waters.

Could you see this moving from “angling outside the UK”, to “angling any different venue / fishery /river within the UK”?
Are you thinking of making this a fishery rule for Haddo?

Are you thinking of providing a disinfection service for all “tackle” at Haddo?

Would any of these chemicals harm the float tubes?

Does anyone reularily disinfect their tackle or know of anyone who does?

Lloyd

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 02/08/2009 at 01:43 »
Hi Lloyd
Excellent post :z16

To be honest, I'm not sure how important this might be? But I thought it would be a good idea for us to be at least thinking about it :wink

I would imagine that float tubes and flippers would be no less, or no more likely to spread things than the rest of our tackle, such as waders, lines, nets etc. Is there any possibility of there being some form of problem in a wild Scottish loch that we wouldn't like to see spread to another .....?

Hmmm, disinfecting our gear between visiting each water is not really practical and probably over the top? So perhaps a little common sense would be fine and if we do find ourselves fishing somewhere that appears to have possible water quality problems ..... we could then make a personal decision to take a bit more care and make sure that everything is thoroughly dry before fishing at another location.

No, I have no intention of making folk disinfect their tackle etc at Haddo in the immediate future, but I'm confident that my ruling on using fishery supplied nets over the years has been a good idea and certainly won't have done any harm.

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com