Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Spawning Rainbows
« on: 04/06/2009 at 13:37 »
I am not wanting to open "old wounds" so to speak, but I happened across a report by the FRS regarding the distribution and impact of rainbow trout in Scotland (Haddo is not listed as being stocked with Rainbows????). I find it all facinating and I know some of you where interested so I thought I would post the info here.

At the end of the report was an interesting section about Rainbows spawning in Scotland. The bit that really caught my eye was about a "local" water where it seems Rainbows where deliberately encouraged to spawn, and with a fair bit of success.

Here is the extract...

"Mill of Criggie Fishery
In 1989, the rainbow trout fishery at Mill of Criggie, near St Cyrus, Kincardineshire, was extended to include a small inflow stream. Gravel was placed in this stream for the purpose of creating experimental redds which were planted with eyed ova. Fry resulted and naturally grown-on fish began to spawn there from winter 1992 until winter 1998, when the redds were intentionally destroyed. The perfect fin conformation of the spawners suggested that all were ‘wild’ fish returning to spawn in the same place (pers. comm. E. McVicar). Photographs of presumed naturally spawned fish were provided."

I found this facinating to think it was happening on out doorstep. I have met Mr McVicar a couple of times in Somers, do any of you know him or know why he destroyed the reds?

Another water listed near by (with evidence supplied to FRS) was Corby Loch  :shock The report states that no fish under 1.5 pounds has ever been stocked into Corby yet in the last few years numbers of fin perfect Rainbows have been taken in the 4-6oz bracket.

I have a copy of the report if anyone wants me to e-mail it. Also some useful information showing a fall in the catch rate of migratory fish against the rise in Rainbow trout stockings.

Peter McCallum

Re: Spawning Rainbows
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2009 at 17:00 »
Eric came to the conclusion that any non-native species were damaging to the water ecosystem which was one of his main reasons for selling mill of criggie & heading to Ardnamurchan.

In conversation a number of years ago with Andy Walker from faskally he reconned, after various studies,that rainbows spawned fairly regularly & successfully but the progeny of that first spawning did not spawn successfully - for what reason he could not determine at that time, so there may be more up to date info.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 04/06/2009 at 17:34 »
Three years ago I caught several 1/2 to 3/4lb fin perfect rainbows at corby one evening. Ian believes these were a result of spawning but another theory is that they were accidentally stocked as fry with older fish. Impossible to tell I guess.

gunner100

« Reply #3 on: 18/06/2009 at 20:40 »
Hi Rab,

I fished Mill of Criggie a few years ago when Mr McVicar was the proprietor. I well remember the spawning redds on the tributary burn. Only ever caught one of the natural spawners. It was around about one pound but totally different from a stocky. It was not deep bellied or heavy shouldered but like a slim silver torpedo. There was a distinct lack of colour on it , the appearance being predominantly silver. Don't know why the redds were destroyed. Sorry

Lyall

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 19/06/2009 at 08:03 »
Lyall,
Thank you for that...I find all this really interesting...you are a very lucky person to have caught a wild rainbow.

Richard Tong

« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2009 at 21:18 »
I caught a Rainbow in the Wharfe a few years ago which I described to Malcolm Greenhalgh who apparently reckoned this could have been a Steelhead returning to spawn.These are not an unknown phenomenon in the UK according to him but I cannot remember any more about the conversation and may have sent him an e mailed shot of the fish. If anyone has caught a more wild looking Rainbow/Steelhead in a UK river I would like to see it!! Tail and fins were perfect,colouration and spotting was intense. I seem to recall it was about 18" and I caught it whilst bugging for Grayling ,

Richard

Richard Tong

Re: Spawning Rainbows New
« Reply #6 on: 19/06/2009 at 21:20 »
The photo I posted using Tinypics has not attached for whatever reason so will send to Mike to put it on here,

Richard

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 19/06/2009 at 22:12 »
Folks to put this to bed , there are numerous examples of Rainbow's spawning. However apart from the Derbyshire Wye there are no examples of sustainable populations.They may well spawn , but the progeny are not sucessful.

Rainbows were introduced to Scotland in 1888, if they were able to establish a sustainable population they would have done so by now.

:z18

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 19/06/2009 at 22:22 »
Folks to put this to bed , there are numerous examples of Rainbow's spawning. However apart from the Derbyshire Wye there are no examples of sustainable populations.They may well spawn , but the progeny are not sucessful.

Rainbows were introduced to Scotland in 1888, if they were able to establish a sustainable population they would have done so by now.

:z18

Jim

What he said :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 20/06/2009 at 00:44 »

Which they appeared to do at Mill of Criggie??????

The more i look into this the more evidence appears to be out there with small 4-8 inch rainbows having been taken from many waters in Scotland..some may have been escapees from cages or farms, and i can accept that..but others from waters where this would be high unlikely due to there remote location/lack of farms/fisheries in the area......but as i said at the begining of the thread..I was asking for info, not trying to stir up any argument.

Sustaibability is a question that i cannot answer, but if fish are spawning and a few fish survive to spawn again, slowly, very slowly a population may establish itself.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 20/06/2009 at 07:40 »
Which they appeared to do at Mill of Criggie??????

Depends on what you mean by sustainable Rob. The little fish at mill of criggie were probably the progeny of stocked fish, I don't think they were a self sustaining population. There are no wee fish in mill of criggie now that I am aware & I don't know if the redds were completely destroyed.

Fisher

« Reply #11 on: 20/06/2009 at 09:43 »
Suggest you have a read of the following which might give some insight into why they dont produce a sustainable population. Interesting read.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090610091224.htm

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com