Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

The jigsaw puzzle
« on: 02/05/2009 at 21:46 »
The jigsaw puzzle that is fly fishing, is probably what keeps us so enthusiastic about our sport. Things were certainly not easy on the loch this morning and I had a good number of anglers scratching their heads and going round and round the fly box :z6

But then Alex worked it out, there had been quite a few fish moving just sub surface and he discovered that they were on bloodworm. He passed the word around to the other boats and things picked up nicely and Alex netted 17 himself :wink

Strangely ( or maybe not ) the only other method to attract plenty of attention was the pink blob :shock Now I frequently hear that pink blobs are taken by the fish as daphnia ....... but IMHO I would suggest that they are perhaps more likely to be taken as bloodworm, as the methods very often work well at the same time?
The days where it takes longer to work out the "jigsaw puzzle" are often the most satisfying :z16

Best wishes
Mike

slippy

Re: The jigsaw puzzle
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/2009 at 06:38 »

I think you are probably right Mike. I recently found out about these 'new' blob flies and the nearest thing I have in my box is the old egg pattern  :oops which I've found work really well in red when the fish are on bloodworm. Even in bright conditions takes are usually in the top layers, which goes against the daphnia theory? so yes, I believe them to be taken for a bunch of bloods waiting for a breakout.
 Good point, and others views/experiences will be interesting.
 Regards, derek  :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 03/05/2009 at 11:30 »
Not sure what the answer is , but I think colour is a big factor , I was float fishing for Perch at Pitfour and the Rainbows were comimh up and having a go at the Orange bubble float !!

:z18

Jim

clark

« Reply #3 on: 03/05/2009 at 16:56 »
hey mike, I myself fish the bloodworm alot !!! and i really do mean it there arent many days where i wont have one on my cast during some point in the day. Ive had this happen before at lochter, took my mate out fishing there one day and it was to say the least dire..... an hour before our session finished my friend put on a pink...... thing  :z4 anyway he cast it out and just left it right out in the middle off the pond. me being me i decided to put on a blood and do the same. So we were both standing there bored out of our faces when my mates line starts to slowly move to the side, there is a ripple so he thinks its just the wind, then my line goes tight, I strike and theres the fish. Then my mates goes tight and he strikes and hes into a fish. But there was something strange goin on. Are fish were take the same length of runs at the exact same time  :z4 turned out the fish had scoffed my mates fly then my fly. What posesed the fish to eat a massive pink thing  and then take a natural bloodworm i dont know. So for the last hour we stuck with the same metods and I finished up with 5 fish to my mates 10! Exact same metods but slightly different coloured flies. Very puzzling indeed.

calum

(by the way you probably wont see me with my usual gear next time as i have gone out and joined the 5 weight club)  :grin  :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 03/05/2009 at 22:13 »
I think colour or fly  blob or bloodworm make no difference,
I think if the fly is at the right depth and fished how the fish want it - the fish will nail it!
Fish dont have days when the decide today is yellow dancer day or bloodworm day!
If you look at the returns book in any venue the flies used are always differant from angler to angler, i really think its all in the depth  :z8

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 03/05/2009 at 22:26 »
Baz

In general I agree , Bows tend to feed on a horizontal plane and Browns on a vertical one, but there are no absolutes in fishing , the fish tend not to read the books  :z4

There are sometimes I think that its the fish who decide if we catch them or not , what I mean is that if they are not on the take any amount of fly changing is not going to make any difference, when they come on the takes its because thats what they have decided to do , not because we have changed to the killer fly.

Then again there are no absolutes in fly fishing   :wink   

:z18

Jim   

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2009 at 22:34 »
I think when they are on and off is a huge factor as you often get spells of a few hours when they go off!
And like you say you can throw allsorts at them and they wont touch a thing!
Blood worm like buzzers are present all the time near enough and depending on the temp could be high or low down in the water!

But like you said we are always guessing and no one will ever know for sure  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com