Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

New Dons Stadium at Loch of Loirston
« on: 03/04/2009 at 13:52 »
Hi All,
         EE says the new stadium will be at the Loch of Loirston . Fishing and Football together . What could be better  :z4

Iain Goolager

Re: New Dons Stadium at Loch of Loirston
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2009 at 13:58 »
Sorry Paul,

What a shoddy idea! What a disgrace all that noise, litter, drinking and swearing - and that's just me out in the tube!

As they are heading for the 3rd Division will it be cost effective? Why not have the stadium in Dundee or something? anywhere.

seriously though I think it should stay where it is - this is from a purely selfish standpoint, I'm a hypocrate, Nimby and all the rest - and PROUD!

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2009 at 14:17 »
Hi Iain,
           Cheez, that didn,t take you long !  No reason to be sorry.

I don,t fish Loirston a lot so it's no great loss to me personally.

I was just thinking about you drifting along to the roar of the crowd as Aberdeen lose   
  again    ..........

Take it your not a Dons Supporter then .  :z4

Take it easy mate.

Paul

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 06/04/2009 at 08:46 »
And do we all believe that this will not have an environmental impact on the loch? The complex will be within 50 yards of the Loch itself.

Its actually 2 stadiums that will be built, a 30,000 supported stadium for Aberdeen and a 3,000 on for Cove Rangers.

A vast concrete carpark will have run off that has to go somewhere, plus the extra traffic of some 30,000 folk trying to get to it on a saturday is not gooing to do it much good. (Pollution, rubbish etc).

I always thought the Loch was somewhere special, a small oasis in the humdrum of modern life...not anymore.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 06/04/2009 at 11:14 »
Hi All,
         EE says the new stadium will be at the Loch of Loirston . Fishing and Football together . What could be better  :z4

can anyone point me at a map showing the location of the new site in relation to the loch? I'm guessing it would have to go north/west of the Loch, between the A90 and the A956.

Shame they couldn't build it at the southern end of the loch to act as a big wind breaker... I was tubing there yesterday and got blown right down the water in about 5mins...

cheers
iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 06/04/2009 at 13:09 »
Rob,
       I would hardly describe the Loch of Loirston as a pristine environment since it has suffered surface water spray from the nearby road and nutrient run off from various sources for many years . It would be a pity to lose it as a trout water IF it came to that but with any further deterioration in water quality it might be better suited as a coarse fishery .  :wink  :wink

In any case this is just a recommendation at the moment (which still has to be approved ) .The consultants compared the site with King's Links and said that a new stadium was better built at Loirston. It's the EE that's having it built  :z4. Not 30,000 capacity though.

It's to be "co-funded by ACC and AFC" . With an estimated cost of £38 million , Aye Right , I can see Stoorty shelling out £19 million . Not.

The report will go out to consultation and will be referred to the council's policy and strategy committee on April 28. We will await that with some interest .

Paul.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 06/04/2009 at 13:24 »
http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1153622?UserKey=

hey rob, thanks for that - i'd read it last week, but missed the additional pictures showing the red shaded area on the map. duh!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2009 at 20:15 »
I'm back,

Why not build an inflatable stadium with a 289 seating capacity which will fold away and can be stored under Mr Milnes ill fitting syrup. That way Jimmy 'the typhoon' windbag can use his hot air to inflate it  prior to matchday - I'm sure Charles Allan can give him a hand if he's struggling.

Oh well looks like I need to invest in some hair rigs and boilies.

Paul,  I'm no longer a dyed in the blood RED If I wanted to watch overpaid incompitence I'd video myself at work  :z4 :z7

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 07/04/2009 at 08:14 »
I would hardly describe the Loch of Loirston as a pristine environment since it has suffered surface water spray from the nearby road and nutrient run off from various sources for many years .

I don't believe I mentioned anywhere that Loriston is a "pristine environment". I said it was an oasis of calm.

I am one of the few that have actually spoken up regarding Loriston, both on here and the ADAA site and it has won me no friends. The place has had serious issues for as long as I have fished there, some 23-25 years. This will be the nail in the coffin.

"The full plans for the stadium will be released at a later date, but the 22,000 all-seated arena will have the option of adding an extra 8,000 seats if needed to house major events."

22,000 = 8,000 = 30,000

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 07/04/2009 at 09:00 »
lies.

Paul,  I'm no longer a dyed in the blood RED If I wanted to watch overpaid incompitence I'd video myself at work  :z4 :z7

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Paul Rankine

« Reply #11 on: 07/04/2009 at 12:36 »
Rob,
        An "Oasis of calm" with a major trunk road yards away !  So not that either in reality.
I'm glad you agree that the "serious  issues " which are already present will be reflected in the environmental impact assessment to come.

By the way the name of the place is Loirston not Loriston .  :z4 :z4 :z4

Iain,

I'm no longer a dyed in the blood RED
  Like me, like the hundreds !!
I like the idea of the inflatable . It could be a giant float tube with the pitch in the middle.
Where are you getting the 289 Dons supporters from though ? You must be including opposition support.  :wink

Seriously though chaps, are we not forgetting about the small matter of the £38 million required to build this "oasis of calm " threatening structure but , hey ,maybe we could insist on part of the monies being set aside to buy some big carp , and tench would be good too. Let's see what else . Roach , or is it ide , already there , re-introduce perch , one or two big pike of course..................   A few Wels too for  any errant supporters who find themselves in the Loch  :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com