Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

R. C. Laurence 1896?
« on: 30/03/2009 at 08:52 »
Hi folks :cool:

I had an interesting email from New Zealand this morning which somebody might have the answer to?

Shae from NZ went to a Kiwi garage sale and found a leather case that took his eye. He says on opening it I found that it was an extensive collection of fly lures as well as a parchment note. The case has the date 1896 belonging to a R.C Laurence, not sure if that is correct as the writing is in sanscript but i think that it is the owners name. Secondly on the parchment note it has a list of fish sizes that have been caught between the owner and someone who could possibly be a friend by the name of norman in aberdeenshire. it is obviously a very old collection, but is in immaculate condition as the flies (about 80 or so) are in very good nick.

I'm trying to establish where it has come from as well as maybe who "R.C.Laurence is, and equally how it has ended up in new zealand.

Any ideas?
Best wishes
Mike

slippy

Re: R. C. Laurence 1896?
« Reply #1 on: 30/03/2009 at 09:19 »

Hi Mike and thanks for the reply to my post  :z18.

Run a search for WHK Cameron history. May be nothing but there is a link to a R. C. Laurence.  :?

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2009 at 10:27 »
The 1891 census for Aberdeen city and shire shows only two people by the name of R Laurence, both in Aberdeen city. No middle names given for either. One is 24 years of age and the other 26. Just the age for an adventurous lad to emigrate perhaps.

Narrows the field down a bit.

Irvine

slippy

« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2009 at 10:44 »

Just had a quick google and found a Norman Cameron emigrated in mid 1800s and is linked to your man. No mention of Aberdeenshire but founded a company in Oz and spread to NZ.
 Hope that helps.

regards derek.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2009 at 18:06 »
Thanks for your help folks :z16

Interesting one this, I like a challenge and we may just find something. I have replied to Shae to let him know that I've put his question on here.

When you find something in your searches like the above, please copy and paste the link to the page so we can all have a look. This is quite good fun.

Best wishes
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #5 on: 30/03/2009 at 19:43 »
Mike

I can't post the links to Scotland's People as it is a pay as you go site.

However I have done a bit more searching. The R Laurence who was 26 years old in 1891 is still in Aberdeen in 1901, married with a family and working as a bank clerk. The R Laurence who was 24 year old in 1891 was single and a Sheriff Officer's clerk so presumably he had the spare time and the income to go fishing. He does not appear anywhere in the 1901 census. So perhaps the leather case dated 1896 was a going away present when he emigrated.

The 1891 census says he was born in the parish of Newhills in Aberdeenshire but I can't find a record of his birth and I can't find him in the 1871 census so he is  a bit of a mystery. The place of birth entry in the 1891 census might be a mistake as it is entered as "ditto" below the place of birth of his landlady.

There was an R Lawrence ( the more common spelling in this part of the world) of about the same age born in the city of Aberdeen but he also appears in the 1891 census as married with 4 children and working as a timber sawyer, so not the kind of person who would have the income to travel about Aberdeenshire going fishing or be able to buy an expensive leather case or likely to receive one as a gift.

The next step would be to check the New Zealand immigration records. I can't find them on line so it might have to be done by checking through the paper records. Over to you Kiwis.

Good hunting

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 30/03/2009 at 20:31 »
Hi Irvine :cool:
Excellent work :z16

"The R Laurence who was 24 year old in 1891 was single and a Sheriff Officer's clerk" could possibly be our man :?

The Norman Cameron that Derek found sounds interesting too.

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com