Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Competition Line?
« on: 28/03/2009 at 19:09 »
Hi,
    Mike very kindly let me have a shot of his new line with my TCR (9' #5) this afternoon.

Despite the weather  :z6  I found that it's long belly roll casts very well (even with the short stiff rod) and it flies on the DH with surprising authority on turn over. This would make a great competition line . Fish up to the boat , hang if you want , roll cast , double haul , great turnover.

Highly recommended .

Paul.

And no I,m not getting a freebie  :z4

Mike Barrio

Competition Line?
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2009 at 22:56 »
Hi folks :cool:

Here's a question for you ...... How long would your ideal competition line be? :?

I am not far away from ordering stock of my new line, but I'm currently basing it on 150 ft :shock The idea being that when you are really going for the big casts it would be better to be shooting running line rather than backing line, which can often tangle. I noticed the backing tangles at Dunkeld :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

Re: Competition Line?
« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2009 at 00:09 »
Hi Mike,

130 for a 5wt, 140 for a 6wt & 150 for a 7wt, I put about 30 feet of 20lb stren behind all my casting lines  :grin

Cheers

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2009 at 02:00 »
Hi Mike!

130 would be enough for me but I better tell you 145 since most if not all lines I ever had differed in length compared to the specs. For some reason they are NEVER longer than the specs...  :wink

Some are downright ridiculus. The worst I had was a "scandinavian" 32 meter line that measured 26,2... Once a guy brought a simular line to practice and handed over his rod and told me the line was 32 meters long. I carried it to the knot and did a few pick up lay downs with it on the hall floor. You should have seen his face expression  :z4  Then I showed him how his line measured against the tape, it was shorter than 26 meters.

Best regards
Stefan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2009 at 08:41 »
Hi Stefan :cool:

Yes, we have found the same when measuring tapers, I often spend a few hours with the micrometer and find that tapers are usually nothing like the advertised ones.

Is 130 ft long enough to make a record cast without going on to the backing though? :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #5 on: 30/03/2009 at 13:31 »
Hi Mike!

For me it very well is, but I don't make any records either. 120 is still a very big cast for me even with 6wt. I used to shoot a lot of line out that ended up as slack, got a different strategy now so I donīt need a longer line for that either.

Mike, Paul and others would need a longer one. Especially in a 7wt. Paul hit me hard and clean in the chest last year when I was watching his tracking standing at 132 ft...Thats sick...  :shock

Lines are easily cut but a bit of a bitch to extend.  :wink 

Best regards
Stefan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 30/03/2009 at 15:17 »
Mike,
Does this mean you are going to produce a super duper 9 weight for chucking my Pike flies into the next county!!!!!! ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 30/03/2009 at 17:41 »
Lines are easily cut but a bit of a bitch to extend.  :wink 

Hi Stefan

Yes, that would make sense, produce the 150 ft line and let folk cut off as much backing as they like :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 30/03/2009 at 17:44 »
Mike,
Does this mean you are going to produce a super duper 9 weight for chucking my Pike flies into the next county!!!!!! ;)

Hi Rob

Not a current plan I'm afraid, but once I have the #8 in stock you could come and try it and we can see if the tapers would work for you ...... if they do, I might consider a #9  :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 30/03/2009 at 23:00 »
And what about 4wts Mike? are they in your plans?

Tel Edmonds

« Reply #10 on: 19/04/2009 at 21:19 »
for 7 weight i like the 150ft lines the snowbee ED is a good line if your getting anything like that would love to give one a go, what colour are you producing this in  :z12

Cheers

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 19/04/2009 at 21:25 »
Hi Tel
Welcome to the forum :z16

I haven't made a final decision on the colour yet, but we have been experimenting with various forms of orange.

Best wishes
Mike

Tel Edmonds

« Reply #12 on: 19/04/2009 at 21:45 »
Hi Mike

Thats great thanks will keep an eye it for it  :z16

Mike Heritage

« Reply #13 on: 20/04/2009 at 05:35 »
Hi Mike,

Don't make 'em too long, I like to see/hear the backing knot occassionally, although it doesn't happen very often these days. Make sure it's not MED orange, I have several orange lines on various spools and I don't have a clue which is which until I cast it, and I'm not sure even then.

Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 20/04/2009 at 19:52 »
Hi Mike :z16

It's "interesting" when a design gets to the almost ready stage ...... as I inevitably realise that everybody wants something different :z4

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com