Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Loopy Loops!
« on: 26/03/2009 at 20:19 »
Sorry, had to put it up :)
http://www.youtube.com/v/EvfPQX4PBUo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1

Have to ask though..when he does the final shoot he seems to be off axis...and according to other casters/law of physics, he shoulod not be able to shoot line that far! How???

Lovely casts!!

Ben Dixon

Re: Loopy Loops!
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2009 at 20:48 »
Hi Rob,

He can shoot that much line because he is quite good :z4

Nice casting, it is fine to cast a bit off axis in my opinion.

Cheers

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2009 at 21:01 »
Hi Rob!

If he would be 100% on axis, what would happen? Thatīs an anchored cast, they are kind of off axis by design.

Seen from directly above. Casting on your right side:

CASTER
                         ------------- delivery rail--------------------->
<------- anchor rail -----------

What I am saying is that sometime during the delivery that anchored part of the line has to pass beside the rod part of the line. If those two planes are not separated the anchor part will hit the rod part of the line. 

http://www.letsflyfish.com/underhand_tuition.htm  Look at the last picture on the page.

He is also pulling and tensioning the lower leg of the loop by sweeping the rod sideways post sendoff. Itīs a kind of pullback technique and it works very well.

He is good and a shooting head shoots line.  :grin 

Best regards
Stefan

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2009 at 21:12 »
Not much fish being caught there  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2009 at 21:16 »
Not much fish being caught there  :wink

No Baz ...... That's why we are discussing it in the Outcasts casting section :wink

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2009 at 23:40 »
Rob,

when he does the final shoot he seems to be off axis...and according to other casters/law of physics, he shoud not be able to shoot line that far! How???

Dunno about your Law of Physics bit , he is actually applying that.

He is simply maintaining the energy dynamic of his snake rolls . One of the ways  (Snake rolls ) which you can use to generate and utilise energy .

Rob, listen to Stefan. If you roll or spey exactly 100% "on axis" the line will hit your rod every time. You can "cant " the rod . (Love that word ) , or alternatively move the rod out of the way of the line on your final delivery.

Baz, The Multiple snake rolls are for the camera . Which is your point and I agree actually. There is demonstration casting and fishing casting .I don't tend to snake roll over salmon . They tend to move away to the other side of the river. :wink

However, please do not dismiss casting expertise as being something separate from catching fish .  :z4

They are inseparable , in my opinion , in an efficient fishing context.

Knowing which cast (or tackle set up ) to utilise in order to present the fly in the best possible manner to
 the fish , ( whatever the fish or fishing environment/conditions might be), is surely one of the essential   
 elements of a skilled fly fisher . 

Oh, by the way, Eoin does catch a salmon from time to time.  :z4

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 27/03/2009 at 08:34 »
Chaps,
I understand the anchor bit etc..even been known to spey cast occassionally myself.. :shock I guess its the angle of the filming because when I watched it again it appears its not as big an angle as I first thought.

Off to rebuild my old 15 footer so I can go and tie knots in the garden ;)

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #7 on: 27/03/2009 at 10:27 »
Hi Rob!

Sorry for trying to teach you how to suck eggs.  :oops

Not my intention, when you he said he was off axis I assumed you where trying to do it on axis.

Try that sweeping of the rod tip sideways. In the same instant you feel the rod unload/kick sweep it out gently. It will divert out most of the counterflex too as a nice bonus and thereby tighten up things some, sometimes that effect is considerable. Hywel Morgan taught me this trick when I had practised spey for 15 years and he called it demo-loops... :z12

Best regards
Stefan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 27/03/2009 at 12:09 »
Sorry for trying to teach you how to suck eggs.  :oops

Far from it Stefan :) I can cast...but I cannot cast with the grace, power and timing of someone like yourself..thats the bit I want :)

Getting there with the Trout gear..which is good :)..too used to 9-11 weight single handed rods so when I started back on the Trout (3 weight) the end of last year I was struggling with timing. sorted now and those loops are nice and tight once more :)

Always always learning at this game, even after some 35 years fishing :)

Stefan Siikavaara

Re: Loopy Loops! New
« Reply #9 on: 27/03/2009 at 14:25 »
Hi Rob!

Great! I was a bit scared there! Glad I did not upset you!

Yes the fun part is learning new things! I think that is what makes the whole thing interesting.

I've found that for me the best way to get better at casting is to revise the basics over and over again. The more fundamental and simple the building block it that I improve, the more impact it has on the end result. Like this rail-principle for example, even the slightest bit I get the rails to run more parallell and a bit tighter makes the efficiency of the cast just go boom.

This is the watercast equivalence to tracking on the overhand cast, when I get the backcast better in line with the forward cast it feels like I only need half the effort to produce the same results.

Best regards
Stefan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com