Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Tradgedy at Loch Awe
« on: 22/03/2009 at 21:15 »
Most of you will have read or heard on the media today about the deaths of two and with rwo still missing,  possibly another two at Loch Awe. A lesson to us all about how important safety is when fishing.

Regards

Jim

Barry Robertson

Re: Tradgedy at Loch Awe
« Reply #1 on: 22/03/2009 at 21:21 »
Sad news!
Last time i was out on Piper dam i pulled an old man out that was not wearing a life jacket and was near to losing his life.
Life jackets are available for a reason and i certainly will be wearing my one alot more than i should of last year  :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 22/03/2009 at 21:28 »
I believe the guys were wearing life vests but, the accident seems to have happened on the way back from the pub if what I saw on the news is correct.  Tragic accident but if I ever have anyone out fishing with me and, if I am fishing myself I would not consider drinking or allowing anyone in my charge to drink more than could be consumed before legally getting into a car & driving, I would like to think the two still missing will turn up safe.

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 22/03/2009 at 21:38 »
Loch Awe is going to be still pretty cold at this time of year , you would be lucky to survive 15 minutes , lifejacket or not. From what I've read the guys are regular visitors to the Loch apparently they normally take the boat across to the pub and  some of the locals usually drive them back round the Loch to their campsite, unfortunately not this time.
How bad must have it have been for the 5th member of the party who could hear the cries for help but could do nothing because of the fog.

Its a bizarre fact but fishing is the most dangerous sport/ passtime in the UK , mainly due to the number of sea anglers who are washed off the rocks and drown each year , In this sad case it just emphasises the point that fishing and drinking do not mix.

Regards

Jim     

Bakerboy

« Reply #4 on: 23/03/2009 at 16:22 »
In fairness to the guys who died it was my understanding from reading the press that they had been to the pub but were not drunk and this was not a factor in their deaths.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 23/03/2009 at 16:44 »
Booze and boats dont mix, no matter if its one pint or more.

However, this is a terrible thing to happen and hopefully a few people will think twice before venturing out on the loch in the dark.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 25/03/2009 at 20:19 »
Hi Jim,

they normally take the boat across to the pub and  some of the locals usually drive them back round the Loch to their campsite, unfortunately not this time.

Dunno how anyone knows that booze was not a factor.

In my experience booze usually is .

Like Booze and Driving , Booze and Boating do not mix well.

Sad.  :z10

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com