Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Moon Phases and feeding fish
« on: 09/03/2009 at 09:07 »
Something I mentioned in another thread prompted me to put this thread up :)

For many years now I have been a believer in "Moonstrike". In its very basic form, it relates the state of the moon phase to the likelyhood of big fish being caught.

To put this into context, the moon affects many things in the world, infact, everything, from the very obvious, such as the tides and the spawning of fish, corals and molluscs, to the hidden such as seedlings will germinate and grow stronger at certain phases. It can even affect humans and there behaviour...with not only the word Lunatic being associated with mad behaviour round a full moon but also crime figures tend to peak around a full moon.

Anyway, back to the fish :) I first came across the idea in the old Abu catalogues of the 70's which always had a chart in the front showing the "best days to catch". At the time I did not realise this was due to the moon. Around 10 years ago I was reading a Muskie book (Muskies are a relation to the Pike, but bigger) and the idea of Moon Triggers came up again, with charts showing the authors captures of large fish against small fish, with a definate relationship between big fish and the moon.

Recently there has been some work done on this in the UK coarse fishing circles. http://www.moonstrike.co.uk/home.html (Its a horrible website by the way!!)

Now, basically, at certain phases, BIG fish feed in ernest. Its not to say they do not feed at other times, but they are much more active and likely to take a bait. At the same time, smaller fish seem to switch off. Could it be because the bigger fish push the smaller fish off the feed? Anyway, when you look at the Britsh Record fish list, some 85% of record fish have fallen on a "good" moon day. The others a day or so either side. None have fallen on a "bad period".

Anyone have any views on this?  :z7

Hamish Young

Re: Moon Phases and feeding fish
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2009 at 09:16 »
Might post on this later (have to dash now) but during the work I did for my recent exams at work I found an interesting correlation between phases of the moon, sun activity and barometric pressure. During the spring/summer in particular  :wink

Cool, something else to look into  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Tam Greenock

« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2009 at 09:35 »
Nae good to me, l only fish when its sunny  :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2009 at 11:53 »
Nae good to me, l only fish when its sunny  :z4 :z4 :z4

Thats what a lot of folk say...but the moon is still up there affecting us mere mortals :)  :z12

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 09/03/2009 at 11:55 »
Might post on this later (have to dash now) but during the work I did for my recent exams at work I found an interesting correlation between phases of the moon, sun activity and barometric pressure. During the spring/summer in particular  :wink

Cool, something else to look into  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Woohoo!!...there is a link between the moon and wind, thats unquestionable...which I guess would have a link with barometric pressures etc etc.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com