Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Reliable Neoprenes???
« on: 05/03/2009 at 22:05 »
  I have searched the forum and realise this has been discussed before but seeing as it was quite some time ago I thought I would ask if anybody actually has any faith in a particular brand of neoprene waders at the moment?  I already have my trusty set of simms breathables (5 seasons without a single leak!) but I cannot resist the idea of tubing, so I am in the process of getting all the gear together  :z18 and was curious as to whether anybody had ANYTHING good too say about waders these days?

Thanks In Advance

Dave Gordon

Re: Reliable Neoprenes???
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/2009 at 22:23 »
Neoprene by its nature is waterproof, in an angling situation leaks through the material are rare and easily fixed. However the seams of most are really badly made. The seams are not properly sealed and require internal sealing. This is normally cloth tape, which wears quickly and lifts if not perfectly sealed down.

Aquasure mixed with cotal will seal the seams very easily, mix it 50/50, paint it on over the seams, with a 1cm overlap of the tape and all is well. I did mine 3 times, 25% aquasure  to cotal and they have been water tight for years. The seams are now the strongest party of the wader.

Dive shops (AWL) sell the materials, and can do the job. or you can buy the stuff and do it your self.

D

Steven Sinclair

Re: Reliable Neoprenes???
« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2009 at 23:32 »
  Excellent!  Thanks for the speedy reply diverdave!  It looks like I'll buy a pair and do as you instructed :z16 I'll nip in by AWL when I get back from deepest darkest Nigeria and enquire bout everything I need.

:z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com