Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Fish English stillwater without rod license
« on: 22/02/2009 at 16:59 »
I read an article a while back about a stillwater in England that you could fish without a rod license as it was fed by river/burn that originates from Scotland.

Does anyone know which one it is?

Dave

Rob Brownfield

Re: Fish English stillwater without rod license
« Reply #1 on: 22/02/2009 at 18:31 »
I think this is very unlikely. The Tweed for example needs a rod licence, even on the "scottish" bank. I think any boarder water that has Scottish origins but ends up or is bordered by England has to have an EA licence.

Or so I believe..

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 22/02/2009 at 19:17 »
 :z8
Are you sure you need an EA rod license to fish the Tweed, I certainly have never bought and EA license when fishing there for any species?  You do need an EA license to fish the Border Esk however, even the bit entirely in Scotland, this applies to all of the Esk system but as far I know it is the only river of Scottish origin that is under English regulation.

Cheers

Ben

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 22/02/2009 at 19:31 »
I think this is very unlikely. The Tweed for example needs a rod licence, even on the "scottish" bank. I think any boarder water that has Scottish origins but ends up or is bordered by England has to have an EA licence.

Or so I believe..

Yes i'm sure in the article it told you about the wrangle there had been, if only i could find it again think it was Trout Fisherman but can't seem to see it in my back catalog.

Dave

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 22/02/2009 at 20:13 »
Right, just looked this up..appears that the EA applied to Parliment for the right to demand a valid EA license (2007/2008 season) but it was thrown out..and the Esks situation called into question. Seems I jumped the gun from an article written in Anglers Mail..appologies..again  :oops

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 22/02/2009 at 22:46 »
Done some searching  :z16 i got it slightly mixed up  :oops
the stillwater isn't fed by scottish water but "the overflow runs into the Till which runs into the Tweed, so technically it's scottish water, hence no licence"

Source here http://www.gameangler.eu/php3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2295
Fishery here http://www.chattontroutfishery.com/index.html

Still not found the mag i read it in yet though :z8

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com