Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: ADAA Loch
« Reply #15 on: 20/02/2009 at 11:44 »
Now then...I am really pleased to see that there are folk on here willing to stick there necks out :)

I am a firm believer, and always have been, that a rod with a more through action allows fish to be played quicker and more efficiently than a stiff rod.

The reason is the curve of the rod protects the leader against sudden lunges and head thrashes. This means you can use lighter leaders but apply more pressure than a stiffer rod, as has already been pointed out, fluro lines do not take kindly to "shock"..ie, a sudden pull.

Suprised no one has mentioned teeth. I have lost a few trout and on inspecting the leader its been frayed...or I ave unhooked a trout and the leader has been "roughed up" by the teeth.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #16 on: 20/02/2009 at 13:01 »
Suprised no one has mentioned teeth

That was in my mind also when listing possible leader breakage - if not from the 'lost' fish but possibly from the cumulative effect of previous fish. :z15 :z15

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 20/02/2009 at 17:29 »
Hi folks :cool:

Lots of interesting questions and replies. It is obviously not my place to comment on the rules etc of a water run by somebody else, but I will say that I do understand the ones mentioned and the need for them. Another point to remember is that this is not a public fishery, it is to be fished by members of the association and their rules will differ from a commercial fishery :wink

Tam ..... I would suggest that the "dead or alive" rule would almost certainly be there to stop folk saying "I had to kill it because it was bleeding, or because it was going belly up" etc. While we are on this subject, in my very humble opinion, those that use this kind of excuse for keeping Spring Salmon ........ should simply be shot :mad

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 20/02/2009 at 20:48 »
Mike,

I did start a reply to Tams' question earlier at work but had to shut down due to 'contractual obligations'.

I would suggest that the "dead or alive" rule would almost certainly be there to stop folk saying "I had to kill it because it was bleeding, or because it was going belly up" etc.

I agree totally :z16

Iain

Dave Mundie

« Reply #19 on: 21/02/2009 at 15:40 »
Oh so the story i heard was true then  :z16

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com