Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

ADAA Loch
« on: 19/02/2009 at 20:41 »
I was told last week that the ADAA now have the loch within parkhill estate, as your crossing the don leaving Dyce in the woods on your right in past the lodge house.

Is this correct?

Dave

Hamish Young

Re: ADAA Loch
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2009 at 21:02 »
Yes, one of the lochs on the Parkhill estate:
http://www.adaa.org.uk/Parkhill_lake.php

j.r fartley

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2009 at 21:03 »

j.r fartley

« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2009 at 21:03 »
great minds think alike hamish.....or is it fools seldom differ? :z4

clark

« Reply #4 on: 19/02/2009 at 21:07 »
Its a really nice place especially compared to the loch of loriston which can become a bit daunting when the wind picks up  : :shock i shall be out there the first day it is open ! Looks like a really nice place to fish  :grin
clark

Fisher

« Reply #5 on: 19/02/2009 at 21:50 »
Its actually called Parkhill Lake not loch. Because lake doesnt sound right in Scotland it is being referred to as the Parkhill fishery. It is the only body of water on Parkhill Estate. Bishops/Lily/Corby are just uphill but not actually on the Estate. :z15 :z15

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2009 at 21:59 »
I remeber Bob Dey mentioning this donkey years ago..glad it finally worked out for him. I remember his major concern was the escape of Rainbows into the Don through a broken pipe/culvert or some such and that the lake (loch) was drained to effect a repair. It was swarming with small brownies and minnows if i remember rightly.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 19/02/2009 at 23:49 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Seems i got it a bit wrong..it was sticklebacks, not minnows...was close..sort of..lol.
Anyway, thats all by the by..fact is its a lovely place :)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 20/02/2009 at 07:18 »
Yes Clark,

It's good to see new waters in the ADAA 'portfolio'. I see that there is a substantial section of bank which is 'out of bounds' - pity.

Good luck on the opening day - I think I'll wait for the crowds to die down, which may take a while as I'm sure it'll be as popular as heck.
If I also remember correctly there are 8 or so platforms/ pegs which can be fished on a 1/2 hour and then move type basis which means you may have a maximum of 4 hrs fishing in the early stages.

Looks a nice location and can't wait to give it a go.

Let us know how you get on.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 20/02/2009 at 07:34 »
Looks like a nice wee place  :z16
Just a wee question though  :roll
Was just reading the rules and it says minimum of 6lb leader material to be used!
Why?  ???

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 20/02/2009 at 07:55 »
If that's 6lb flurocarbon, no problemo  :cool:

Lots of fisheries have introduced a minumum breaking strain, especially with the advent of copolymer/low diameter leader material.
I'd guess it's in an effort to stop folk getting broken on fish (which happens to us all  :roll) every now and again.
Some folk can be hard on fish, so 6lb should be sufficient to reduce (but not eradicate) the number of breakages :z17

Entirely reasonable IMHO  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Tam Greenock

« Reply #11 on: 20/02/2009 at 10:18 »
Can someone explain the curious rule that all fish have to be returned  :z8 .Whether they are Dead or Alive

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 20/02/2009 at 10:26 »
I like to drop to 4lb when fishing tiny dries/emergers. :cry

Being broken by a fish comes in many forms - old/degraded leader, too much wellie, poor knots, dropper snagging, fish finding an obstruction, etc. etc.   most of these are within our control.

I'm going to put my head on the block again and say that I think that your outfit can play a large part in knowing how much force can be shown to the fish.

I typically use 4wt (sometimes 3wt & occasionally 5wt) and I honestly feel that I have much more control over the amount of pressure being applied to the fish with the lighter set up. You kind of know when you are giving it maximum.

The most important thing is the fish and if it reduces the amount of breakages then fair play.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 20/02/2009 at 10:51 »
I like to drop to 4lb when fishing tiny dries/emergers. :cry

Being broken by a fish comes in many forms - old/degraded leader, too much wellie, poor knots, dropper snagging, fish finding an obstruction, etc. etc.   most of these are within our control.

Thanks for sticking your neck out first  :wink
This is what i was wanting to say originally and i agree that the majority of times people get snapped up is through being to heavy handed or not paying enough attention.
When i fish mill of criggie with dries the fish seam to like a dry better on 4lb and anything else they just laugh at  :z6

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 20/02/2009 at 11:26 »
By their nature, lightline rods generally tend to be less stiff, therefore will allow you use lighter leader with NO worries :z16

The problems arise with people using very stiff, heavier rods often 7 and 8wts on a water where they need to fish size 14-16 flies, then the shock absorbing properties of the rod wont allow for sudden impacts to light leader material.

I rarely use anything more than 4lb leader (often less) and catch many fish well into the mid teens, I am using smooth progressive rods with nice limber tips, usually 3wts often 4 or 5wts, never higher.

Unfortunatley you can't create a rule that specifies what type of rod to use or even , if you are using an 8wt then you must use at least 6lb line, it would be impossible to police. So i guess to allow for this , this kind of rule is perhaps an idea,The more enlightnened anglers are not affected by this until it becomes a rule so perhaps you just have to adjust how/where you fish :z8

The Main issue as regards the line weight though, is surely what material? Many flouro/co-poly's are more brittle than nylon so 6lb co-poly although thinner than nylon wont stretch as much so with the stiff rods the nylon will break less often, the co-poly will still snap. Down side is you may get less takes on the nylon. 4lb nylon will usually break after 6 lb co-poly on a stiffer rod, the modern materials are more suited to progressive curve rods (which most of us use these days anyway).

Its a minefield issue, with a lot of parameters and still impossible to police,
If i have a spool of line with 6lb written on it and have it spooled with 4lb how would you know :z8
Do you test evryones tippet? Bearing in mind line degrades with time and use! I dont think so. You will rely on people being honest. Or perhaps you could only inspect people who seem to catch more fish :wink

I dont know where this ends, just ask Mike about how to police, barbless hooks :z6

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com