Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ross

Single Handed Salmon Rod...
« on: 18/02/2009 at 20:18 »
I hate the 14ft salmon rods, is there any decent single handed rods...or ones capable? What about Reels and WF?

Bracket of 200-300 quid for the rod, 100-300 for reel.

Ben Dixon

Re: Single Handed Salmon Rod...
« Reply #1 on: 18/02/2009 at 20:34 »
Have a look at the Orvis Western 3, 10ft 7 or 8 wt, should be available in the next few weeks.  Before looking at lines have a think about where and when you will be using it and also, how you intend to cast it.  If you intend to Spey cast with the outfit dont go for a line with too long a head, I am using a Loop Opti Still water as a floating line for single handed salmon fishing at the moment.  It will turn over most things I would want to throw in the situations where I would be using a single hander, it Spey casts well and will overhead fine too.  I do not tend to fish full sinking lines for salmon on a SH rod it is hard work but, there are lines out there that work well.  I would spend more money on the rod & a line or two and spend less on the reel, the reel needs to be of the correct weight to balance the rod so that it does not feel tip heavy and needs to hold at least 100 yards of backing.  Most modern heavy duty trout reels will suffice in terms of drag..

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com