Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ed

fly fishing magazines
« on: 18/02/2009 at 19:54 »
 just wondered what was the most popular fishing magazine which gives good coveridge to the north east,the ones i have bought are trout and salmon and trout fisherman ,both are very good but being new to fishing there might be more out there that i have missed that you would recommend.

Irvine Ross

Re: fly fishing magazines
« Reply #1 on: 18/02/2009 at 20:13 »
Hi Ed

Fly Fishing and Fly Tying is the only one I think is worth buying, especially if you tie your own flies. Trout Fisherman tends to be focused on stocked trout fishing in big reservoirs which we don't have in Aberdeenshire. Trout and Salmon is quite good but I don't fish for salmon very much so I rely on picking it up in dentist's waiting rooms. You will get a lot of good advice relevant to his part of the world on this web site.

Good luck

Irvine

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 18/02/2009 at 20:14 »
Irvine you just took the words out of my mouth :z4  :z16

Dave

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 18/02/2009 at 20:40 »

Dave

Ditto

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2009 at 20:55 »

Dave

Ditto :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 18/02/2009 at 21:44 »
Brown noses  :wink
It depends on what your intrested in reading but to be honest very little if any give much coveridge to the North east IMHO  :z6
Bought Fly fisher and fly tier this month and found it to be very helpfull for helping my tying out.
On the other hand i like to fish big waters and trout fisherman gives me wee hints and tips in that respect.
Cant coment on Trout and salmon as i have not read it for years but if my memory serves me right its mostly focused on rivers and salmon with the odd trout page.

:z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2009 at 10:43 »
I buy FF&FT as I like the way the magazine is put together, a lot of useful information in almost every issue and there's always the tackle review section which (if I'm honest) I always read first, followed by Northern Climes. In my view, the best balanced (in that all areas of fly fishing get equal coverage) fly fishing magazine currently on the UK market bar none  :z16

Courtesy of a certain column, I get T&S for free. Now IMHO T&S has come a long way in the last few years, a far better balance of articles now than there has been for some time. Somehow though, it always leaves me a little cold. Not as 'personal' as FF&FT 'feels' to me, can't quite put my finger on why that should be.

TF - I rarely buy this. Although again I'd say it's an improved magazine, there is a degree of bias towards the English reservoirs. Not that surprising really, as TF can trace its routes to the boom/expansion of reservoir trout fishing. The days of articles by Walker, Shrive and Church were the halcyon days for TF and still well worth a read.

Total Flyfisher - moving swiftly on........ ok ok. It was the bits on the 'thingamabobber' that did it for me, I mean come on  :roll .... we've covered this topic before http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1521.0 All of that aside, there is the occasional snippet or interesting piece in there. I buy the occasional copy.

So where does that leave us :? My view is the magazines are nearly always a useful resource, but forums such as this one give you a better local guide to what's going on, what works (and what doesn't), advice and general good humoured banter  :wink

Why go anywhere else :?

Hamish  :z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 19/02/2009 at 15:20 »

Irvine you just took the words out of my mouth
Ditto  :z4 :z16 :z4...Baz don't be cheeky! :wink

I subscribe to Trout fisherman (I will get round to cancelling sometime) and although it has seen a little 'freshening up' recently I still feel that I've seen it all before. FF&FT is the best read & for fly tying its a hit.
I do buy T&S now and again but always feel as if I'm 'a wee boy reading something that's meant for grown ups' don't ask me to explain 'cos I can't. (just read that back and I don't mean in a dirty way :shock)

There you have it.

ed

« Reply #8 on: 20/02/2009 at 21:28 »
thanks for the info,went out and bought FF&FT and so far so good.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 21/02/2009 at 16:51 »
I have a subscripion to FF & FT , renewed every year by SWMBO as my anniversary present  :z16 I buy Troot and Salmon every month as the Crossword keeps me going in fishing tackle.
Also buy Trout Fisherman every month , out of habit I suppose , when I returned to fishing after dabbling with Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll it was a great help to get me back up to speed in finding out what the feck carbon rods were and what flurocarbon was etc  :z4

I think most of the mags do a great job under difficult circumstances and do not deserve the undue criticism the receive on some forums.

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 21/02/2009 at 16:58 »
Have you honestly won a few things doing crooswords Jim?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 22/02/2009 at 21:00 »
Baz

Not that I like to go on about it  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

3 fly rods
1 Fly reel
1 pair neoprene waders 
1 pair breathable waders
1 wading jacket
1 pair of wadings boots

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 22/02/2009 at 21:03 »
 :shock

Fair cache Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 22/02/2009 at 21:03 »
No way  :z4
If only i was clever enough i might have tried as well, well done.
How many years is that over as mind you surely had a few tries by now  :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 22/02/2009 at 21:07 »
If only i was clever enough i might have tried as well, well done.

Baz,

you couldn't spell crosword! :z7

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com