Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

garry john

spinning rod
« on: 17/02/2009 at 06:45 »
hey folks was thinking of buying a spinning rod 4 salmon. was just wondering what weight and length would be best :z8
thanks Garry

Sandy Nelson

Re: spinning rod
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2009 at 06:57 »
Hi Garry

I'd be looking for one about 9ft -10ft that chucks 15-40grms (ish) this would suit the river and fish and will deal with just abut every lure you are likely to use.
It should also make the fishing quite pleasant, I wouldn't know what to reccomend these days, i still use an old Shakespeare that is still sweet (or my grandads Sharpes Cane rod), i believe the new Wychwood true range has some nice spinning rods, probably well worth a look  :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2009 at 13:08 »
(or my grandads Sharpes Cane rod),

Not a 10 foot 2 piece by any chance???

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 17/02/2009 at 13:19 »
Daiwa and Shimano have a HUGE range of spinning rods available these days. I guess a lot depends on ypour budget.

For me, off the shelf, then the Shimano Fireblood is the boy to have..but at £300+ you have to be a dedicated lure fisher to justify one :) http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/nl/index/2009sehfish/rods_and_poles/spinning/spinning_casting/fireblood_spinning.html

At a more realistic price if the Shimano Speedmaster..stunning rod indeed. http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/nl/index/2009sehfish/rods_and_poles/spinning/spinning_casting/speedmaster_ax_spinning.html

And finally again from Shimano, the Nexave. Fantastic rod, well finished and arounf the £60 mark. http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/nl/index/2009sehfish/rods_and_poles/spinning/spinning_casting/nexave_bx_spinning.html

As you can see..I rate the Shimano rods very highly indeed.

I find the Daiwa rods "to traditional" for my liking, the way they are finished and the actions..but maybe you would like that? All very good quality and value.

If you want a custom built lure rod, then Dave Lumb is the mad to talk to..his Axiom range is beautiful!

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2009 at 09:29 »
Don't dismiss buying an Abu spinning rod, I have a (now vintage) conolon 11ft rod which is sweet as you like, although heavy (physical weight) by todays standards.
I'd echo Sandys' suggestion, 15-40 grams is much as you're really likely to need in most situations.
I like longer rods as I think it gives much more control, particularly with light lures, so would look for a 10-11ft rod if I were in the market.

Have you already got the reel :?

Hamish  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 18/02/2009 at 13:09 »
Don't dismiss buying an Abu spinning rod,

Mmmmmm..Conolons :)..and the old Zoom range with cranked handles and wire guides!!!

Abu have really pulled out the stops this year with some really innovative rods/designs/finishes. The Fantasista looks mental, with fuji titanium rings and the new IPS reel seat...but an orange butt section and black tip..bizaar!!

Reel production has switched back to Sweden now and the quality is back to what it used to be..not sure where the rods are made but they dont seem to have the horrendous "dip finish" of rods from a few years back.  :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 18/02/2009 at 15:51 »
Hi Garry John,
                     Really depends on how much you want to spend . Also have you considered buying a 4 piece  10ft. ? Useful for holiday spinning (if you are allowed !) and also fits easily into the car boot . Just bought a Mike Ladle Surespin for my own holiday use as I needed something heavier than my Shimano. Intend to put it to good use for bass and leerfish in Fuerte.

Lots of good and cheaper rods out there though especially in two piece.

Echo Hamish here , don't buy anything too heavy .

Paul.

garry john

« Reply #7 on: 18/02/2009 at 15:57 »
thanks for all the replys guys :cool: im sure i wil find 1 now  :z15  :z16

garry john

« Reply #8 on: 26/02/2009 at 14:06 »
any of yous heard of abu garcia rods? r they any good? got offered a 10 foot 25-50g graphite

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 26/02/2009 at 16:13 »
Abu Garcia is what myself and Hamish where talking about. They used to be one of the few companies making proper salmon spinning rods..then they went down hill for a while but the last few years has seen some really nice models released :)

Here you go... http://www.abugarcia-fishing.co.uk/

garry john

« Reply #10 on: 26/02/2009 at 17:06 »
i purchased the 1 i was speakin bout looks like a gd een.  :cool:

garry john

« Reply #11 on: 26/02/2009 at 17:07 »
need a reel 4 this rod now?? :shock :z15

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 26/02/2009 at 18:08 »
How much do you want to spend  :?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 26/02/2009 at 20:23 »
Only reels i would look at are Shimano or Daiwa. Okuma are good but dont last as long as the two i mentioned.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #14 on: 26/02/2009 at 21:03 »
Hi Garry,

If you want to buy something that will work until your "deed " then spend money on  a Shimano , Daiwa are good reels too but won't last as long.  :wink

Forget Okuma's , they break.

Again , depends on how much you want to spend . Probably much more so than rods . Much more engineering in fixed spool spinning reels.

You need to take note of the quoted line capacity . You need something that takes at least 100-150  yards of at least 10 lb nylon , (depends also on where you intend to use it - (holiday wise).

I use Shimano  Stradics (Expensive ) , Exages 4000 's ( mid priced <£60) , and a Nexave, which again is excellent and not too expensive , @£40 or cheaper. 

If you don't want to spend that kind of money then definitely look at Daiwa. their Crossfire series is very good too , but don't expect them to outlive you .  :z7

I would Google "Shimano reels "  . This will produce a variety of sites All selling Shimano reels , funnily enough  :cool:

You want the line capacity mentioned , about a 4000 sized reel , if that is mentioned . E-Bay will come up in the search , my advice here is not to bid unless you know ,for sure , the reel is the one you want.

Lots of bargains now on Shimano and Daiwa reels as old stock is moved out . Have a search .

Hope this helps .

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com