Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Multi piece fly rods?
« Reply #15 on: 13/02/2009 at 15:41 »
Hi Magnus :z16

Re: "For that matter its difficult to scale a design and claim there is 'family resemblance' between, say, a 3-weight and a 10-weight from the same range"

You can say that again, we are currently building a new "big sister" for the Barrio Lightweight and this will suit a DT4F and WF5F fly line. It was by no means easy to build in the same "feel" in to the new one ...... but I think that after more than a year of research and development, we have finally succeeded and I must say that this is all down to Sandy's skill and knowledge!

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 14/02/2009 at 17:45 »

Sandy - I'm not trying to pick a fight about what you do or don't assume.

As much fun as this sounds :wink I kind of saw it as two very different approaches to relate similar information.
Thats why i came from the cane angle with an explanation, based on what i understand. And left you to try and explain the differences in carbon ferrules :z7
Only similarity i can see is that the ferrule should be incorporated into any design as part of the action :z18

Sandy

« Reply #17 on: 14/02/2009 at 18:29 »
Just a thought. :? Has any one considered that four piece rods have been market led to be the norm as it is cheaper to replace one small section under life long free warranty as opposed half the rod?  :roll
At the end of the day a three piece rod is not exactly cumbersome.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 14/02/2009 at 19:55 »
Just a thought. :? Has any one considered that four piece rods have been market led to be the norm as it is cheaper to replace one small section under life long free warranty as opposed half the rod?  :roll
At the end of the day a three piece rod is not exactly cumbersome.

Thats a very interesting observation!!

I would also add that a 4 piece rod of a particular type and make costs more than its two piece brother...and what for? Well, 2 extra whips at the additional joins, and perhaps an extra 10 minutes work on the mandrels..but with a shorter and therefore cheaper tube and bag ;)

Case in point..my  TLS 4 piece 9 weight was £275, the 2 piece is £225.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com