Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Multi piece fly rods?
« on: 12/02/2009 at 23:36 »
I don't know if you've noticed my latest signature under my posts ......

"Have you noticed how "right" it feels when you carry your rod in a 4½ ft rod tube?"

I've been thinking about this a fair bit lately, multi piece fly rods were brought in as "Travel Rods" and they've become the norm :z6

At first, I didn't like them, the early ones had joints that killed some of the feel IMHO. But they improved and became acceptable ( better even? ) as they do go in the boot of your car and they are easier to take on holiday. Plus you pay more for a 3, 4 or 5 piece rod than you do a 2 piece one ...... so they must be better right?

I am now starting to turn full circle on this :oops I still feel the need to check all those joints when I'm fishing ...... and deep down, I know we can produce two piece rods with a sweeter feel :z6

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

Re: Multi piece fly rods?
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2009 at 23:41 »
I love 4 piece rods but to be honest my 2 piece Xp 5wt casts the best out of all my rods  :grin
My 4 piece Xp casts a dream but just not in the same league as the 2 piece :z6
The only bad thing with the 2 piece is the hassle fitting it into transport!
Very intrested in Sandys Winston as its a 4 piece and wondering how it will perform, watch this space  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2009 at 23:49 »
I believe fly anglers are a little strange when it comes to how many sections a rod has. The more sections a rod has, the more chance of disaster.

If you want a rod with a totally pure action, then a single piece is the way to go. Think about distance casters (beach)..they use an 8 foot tip and a 4 foot very stiff butt. This is so the weak point, the join, is not flexed during the cast. The Aussies go a step further, they use one piece 12-15 foot beach casters for lobbing whole fish into the surf for large Grouper and shark. By not having joins they can produce a lighter, stronger rod.

I am sure a one piece 9 foot rod would be lighter and stronger, but no one would buy it.

Funny how i see plenty of cars parked up in Banchory with 4 piece salmon rods taped together and on the outside of the car, never to be broken down during the season...but i bet if someone produced a 15 foot one piece it would never leave the shop.

Of course, joins are there for our convenience..and yep....its nice i can have the gear in the boot and not worry about it being on display unlike my one piece lure/jerkbait rods or 2 piece 12 foot pike rods.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2009 at 23:50 »
Hi Baz :z16

I'm chuffed that you like your 2 pce XP, you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Re: "The only bad thing with the 2 piece is the hassle fitting it into transport!"

Yes, I know transportation has a lot to do with this, but I kind of like taking my pride and joy in the car, rather than putting it in the boot :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 12/02/2009 at 23:54 »
If i had to comprimise and only keep 1 rod it would be the 2 piece for sure  :wink
Still mind when i was a bairn and got dragged to all the hill lochs with a 2 piecer strapped to the top of my rucksack i must of looked a bit silly  :oops

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2009 at 00:00 »
A couple of good points there Rob ...... I can see I'm not alone with these thoughts then :cool:

No Baz, you're a fly fisher, "a 2 piecer strapped to the top of your rucksack" looks cool :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 13/02/2009 at 00:21 »
Baz,
I have walked upto Callater a few times with a couple of 2 piece 12 footers strapped to my back..i now much prefer the 4 piece fly rod :)

Mike,
I have a few one piece rods for heavy lure fishing..more for the strength than the casting, but they do indeed have a nice action to them compared to the 2 piece versions.

But on the subject of pieces, the join makes a big difference too. Spigot, overfit, push in, ferrule..they all alter the rods action. A spigot should have the purest "bend" with an overfit being the "flattest" join due to the extra carbon used to strengthen the female section..but most rods seem to go for this...cost maybe??

Also, with an overfit, the rod is made in 4 unmatched sections and married up after..a spigot is made on one manderal and then cut to size. so is perfectly matched.

So which is best????

Magnus Angus

« Reply #7 on: 13/02/2009 at 03:03 »
Actually a metal ferrule causes more interruption in the bend of a rod - flat spot - look at the stress curves on old cane rods. Spigots can be good, it depends how well the joint is designed. Overfit can be heavier than spigot but is much more cost effective and a great deal less fragile than, say, a carbon spigot joint which means using a narrower tube to continue the bend.

garry john

« Reply #8 on: 13/02/2009 at 06:16 »
i bought a 4 piece not to long ago for travel purposes. i find it ok. but 2 piece is the best in my opinion :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 13/02/2009 at 08:45 »
Actually a metal ferrule causes more interruption in the bend of a rod

I have yet to see a carbon rod fitted with a metal ferrule...and i took it as given that we were talking about modern carbon rods.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 13/02/2009 at 08:57 »
Keeping rods in the car, as opposed to the boot is fine in this area, however in some parts of the coutry it would be an invitation to  break into the car.

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 13/02/2009 at 09:37 »

But on the subject of pieces, the join makes a big difference too. Spigot, overfit, push in, ferrule..they all alter the rods action. A spigot should have the purest "bend" with an overfit being the "flattest" join due to the extra carbon used to strengthen the female section..but most rods seem to go for this...cost maybe??

Also, with an overfit, the rod is made in 4 unmatched sections and married up after..a spigot is made on one manderal and then cut to size. so is perfectly matched.

So which is best????

Good question, to which i have no answer :z6 I have tried blanks with all these. I think perhaps there are some that work for different applications better than others, but if a blank is designed right to start with, the the joint is built into the design and shouldn't matter. :z16

Actually a metal ferrule causes more interruption in the bend of a rod - flat spot - look at the stress curves on old cane rods. Spigots can be good, it depends how well the joint is designed. Overfit can be heavier than spigot but is much more cost effective and a great deal less fragile than, say, a carbon spigot joint which means using a narrower tube to continue the bend.

I never saw a mention of this either :roll However if you look at many cane rod stress curves, then yes there is a difference at the joint, however a lot depends on how the taper was measured, nearly all the stress curves that are available to look at, are measured from built rods, not always an ideal way to find out what the rod designer was trying to do. Many of the older rods curves have a peak at the joint which means the rod is softer, not stiffer, and this is due to measuring the cane from the ferrule area, where it has been thinned down to accept the ferrule and sometimes the taper deliberatley thins down to compensate for the extra weight/stiffness of the ferrule, some others have a dip making it stiffer, this is often a figure including the ferrule and makes a lot of sweeping generalisations based on figures/specifications from a long time ago. None of the programs accuratley reflect the different styles of ferrules used on classic rods, what you can be certain of, to a large extent, is the original maker usually compensated the taper to suit the type of ferrule and they all did it in different ways :z18
I, like almost all modern rod builder make my own assumptions as to what they were trying to achieve and adapt a design to suit. If you are lucky enough to find original, unvarnished unstarted blank, or the orignal taper figures that some of the classics were built to, then you can make a rod the way it was supposed to be. I've noticed that if you find these tapers they often  get a bit thicker at the ferrule area (a dip on the curve), my take on this is they were allowing for the removal of extra power fibres at the joint to make space for the ferrule, getting a balance between the reduction in stiffness of the blank and the increase in stiffness due to the ferrule.
Some of the Americans such as Dickerson, Payne and Young, had fixed forms for each rod they built (they also generally made their own ferrules too), most of these have been sold on as the years go by, so they still exist and are in the hands of modern makers, these guys can provide you with a real indication of what made the classics, classic and how they compensated for the ferrule. If you ask the right people you can get the answers :wink

If you get the taper right and understand the material, then a Metal ferrule can disappear into the action :z16

I prefer 2 pieces, especially with cane, but a lot of modern rods are designed as 4 piece from the outset and the joints are compensated for, this is why they are so good :z18 Cheaper multi piece rods generally have less involved designs and may not have this effect, so would not feel so good. But Scott, Winston, Sage, Hardy/Greys etc all make specific 4 piece rods, that are very nice. 2 piece rods just feel smoother when made of the same material, usually because they can be made on a more even taper and usually use less material making them lighter (albeit fractional). :z3

I like the idea of a 1 piece rod, makes a lot of sense, especially with cane :wink

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #12 on: 13/02/2009 at 13:34 »
Personally I'm happy to sacrifice a small bit in performance for the convenience of a four section rod. If there is a difference in performance that is? The four piece is a lot easier to put on your pack when walking out to hill lochs or even to dismantle to walk back down the river bank to the car if there is a lot of fence climbing to do.

Ever tried going on a family holiday with two kids and a two piece ten foot rod in the back of the car? Never again.

Irvine :z15

Magnus Angus

« Reply #13 on: 13/02/2009 at 15:03 »
 :z4 :z4

Yes metal ferules have been tried on glass and carbon rods. They were rejected due to cost and weight. One of the more applicable alternatives was a aluminium fitting, using synthetic O-rings for friction control because unlike, say nickel silver etc, aluminium is not self-lubricating. It suited better because the density of aluminium is closer to Carbon and Boron.

Again my reference is "The technology of Fly Rods" by Don Green - Chapter 8 - where he gives a decent account of the history and a detailed explanation of the reasons why materials and practises were adopted or rejected.

The density of brass and nickel-silver simply don't compare with carbon - both are about 5 times more dense than high strength carbon. Both also have a significantly lower modulus of elasticity. The result being a very heavy stiffened section in an otherwise light rod. Green gives a detailed comparison of nickel silver ferule designs - the difference in stiffness between the blank and the ferule increases depending on the design by a factor of 3 to 5 times at the joint.

He also gives detailed comparisons for the increased stiffness across a couple of 'Typical Graphite Ferules'
Sleeve Ferrule where the stiffness doubles at the joint.
Spigot Ferrule where the stiffness increases by a factor of around 1.5.

Point being that either of those forms of joint causes less interruption in the curve of the rod and they add less local mass.

Sandy - I'm not trying to pick a fight about what you do or don't assume. I'm simply repeating and interpreting from the best (possibly only) engineering based analysis of this stuff. Far too much of the babble about rods is not based in some sort of solid believable analysis. It's as if years back some marketing genius decided to big-up the type of joint they used and sneer at to undermine the type of joint their competition used - and its been embellished, polished and handed down as fact ever since. That's now very much exaggerated by the 'Gripe Sites' where facts and substantiated opinion can be in short supply.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #14 on: 13/02/2009 at 15:27 »
I've used both one piece cane and carbon rods - both nice. The carbon was a 6ft Powerfibre - exciting little rod. The carbon was a 9ft Loomis saltwater - fabulous.

Both are completely impractical for most people including me. The 9ft'er belongs to a flats guide who stores it in his boat. Irvine had problems with a 2pce 10ft rod - think about a 9ft tube  :grin

I talked about a little of this with Hardy's development manager Howard Croston last November - in theory, from a casting pov, fewer sections is better - he mentioned a prototype 2 pce distance rod I'd love to try. In practice the market likes multi section rods - 3 or more sections are the norm and it is not easy to see how a 2pce rod can compete in the mass market. Interesting case - look at the Z axis and compare how many 2 and 4 pice designs Sage offer. Why? Because most consumers want shorter more convenient tubes and there is a small but vocal market who want 2 pce rods.

From a design pov its difficult to exactly repeat a design in a different number of sections. The differences may be subtle but can be glaring. For that matter its difficult to scale a design and claim there is 'family resemblance' between, say, a 3-weight and a 10-weight from the same range.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com