Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Bruce

Hey guys, in need of some advice
« on: 11/02/2009 at 17:47 »
Hey folkes,

Recently joined the forum so thought this would be a good way of introducing myself.
I started fly fishing a few years back in my early teens with my dad and uncle, nothing serious, until the tail end of last season when me and my mate garry (hes on here to) went up to lochter one day for something to do, and every since then i cant get enough of it. Ive only ever fished fisherys tho, lochter haddo and loch insch. Now that the season has started again for salmon and trout soon i really want to get into fishing the river don, i stay in the port so its like right next door. Has anyone got any tips on how to fish the don and any good beats they know of because i understand how different fishing a river is compared with a fishery. :z8  Thank you in advance :z16

Oh and I really want some salmon, never caught one before so any tips on that wouldnt go a miss either.

j.r fartley

Re: Hey guys, in need of some advice
« Reply #1 on: 11/02/2009 at 18:00 »
hi dave welcome to the forum, the don is a crackin river but definately more of a challenge than a fishery,much more rewarding when you catch wild fish :grin im a trout man myself so cant help you much with catching a salmon :z4 there seems to be a lot of really knowledgable people on here who im sure can point you in the right direction though!

Dave Bruce

« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2009 at 18:09 »
hey j.r, thanks for the welcome. :z16 Dont get me wrong i really want a salmon but i will also be fishing for brownies aswel. And yeah i totaly agree with you, it would be much more rewarding catching a wild fish. I cant wait to get down and get cracking. Ive started tying flys myself to, had a few fish with ones ive made myself, thats a good buzz to. Any paterns you recomend for brownies at the don? :z15

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2009 at 18:11 »
For trout, you'll not go far wrong with spidermans own wee bittie on the 'main' side of the site:

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-tactics.html

For salmon - ask what you want to know, or get some back copies of Trout and Salmon and read the Don reports  :z17 :wink

Hamish  :z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 11/02/2009 at 20:28 »
because i understand how different fishing a river is compared with a fishery. :z8  Thank you in advance :z16

HI Dave

Welcome onboard, very brave statement :wink Not many people do and thats what causes a lot of grief, confusion upset and agro.
The expectations are very different. If you live in the Port, get a season ticket for the town water and explore :z16.
I'm fishing Inverurie again this year so might see you there :wink
Much of the basics are where Hamish linked you too, there is a lot more to it, but its more fun to learn most of it yourself.
Lots of people on here with a good river pedigree, so expect some some decent answers to good questions :z16

Sandy

garry john

« Reply #5 on: 11/02/2009 at 21:58 »
hopfully weather clears a bit for saturday. cant wait 2 get a cast in :z15 :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2009 at 10:30 »
Dave,
Fished the Don at Kintore yesterday but to no avail.

Meant to have a cast at Kemnay, Inverurie & then finish back at Kintore for picking the wee man up from nursery but due to the usual 'Mr Bean' farting around I just parked up at Kintore.

There was only one other person fishing (spinning) and there was no indication of any fresh fish. Two Kelts reared their heads around dinner time but that was it. Water levels were quite low - I guess the low temperatures are keeping the snow packed up.

A river watcher turned up later and said that there were a few kelts taken at Kemnay but that was all he was aware of.

It's not easy knowing what's going on in the river as very few beats 'advertise' catch returns.  Haven't looked to see  if the FishDon site will be populated this season.

If you are desperate to catch a springer at this point in the season I think you should be on the Dee - I think the Don will be a better prospect in a month or so...just my opinion.

Maybe see you around

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 12/02/2009 at 11:45 »
I was in the Legion last night in Banchory and the party of anglers staying there had had a few fresh fish yesterday and around 10 kelts...so I guess the Dee is doing well just now.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #8 on: 12/02/2009 at 12:52 »
There was only one other person fishing (spinning) and there was no indication of any fresh fish.

Is the Don not a fly only river? I know it defo at the upper streches???

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 12/02/2009 at 16:08 »
Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum :z16

As others have already said, the Inverurie water will be fine to start you off and I'm sure you'll have fun going through the never ending learning curve :wink

Enjoy
Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 12/02/2009 at 19:53 »
Is the Don not a fly only river? I know it defo at the upper streches???

Hi Cam,

you can spin on the cooncil waters but only when the river is above a certain height - there were new markers fitted (toward the end of last season I think) to enforce this ruling. The new marker in the picture below can be seen slightly downstream of the original (pity it faces outwards and is difficult to read). I'm sure that the red line on the original marker was the 'Worming' level marker.

I know that the new ruling wasn't appreciated by a large number of anglers because Kintore (for example) has a large percentage of died in the blood guys that spin for Salmon, some of whom have plied their trade on the water for decades.

Not an easy one to call but, them there's the rules.

Last year I was out for a paramble and came across this sign in the water................a victim of the gusting winds?

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 12/02/2009 at 20:05 »
Iain

You were a brave man being out in this weather  :z14

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 12/02/2009 at 20:12 »
Jim,
It was cold, very cold - I forgot my thermometer for the water temp. but I stuck my hand in and needless to say it was Baltic.
The open fields did little to stop the mini snow drifts when the wind picked up in the afternoon.
I forgot how tiring walking a river is and with the crispy snow underfoot it was doubly strenuous, so much so that I was in my bed at 8:30 - knackered.

Worth every minute of it!

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com