Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Cork is history ?
« Reply #15 on: 10/02/2009 at 16:58 »
Cork is not history yet though :z3

I received my rod component stock order today and I'm more than happy with the cork :wink

Won't be long before you can try our two new fly rods :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #16 on: 10/02/2009 at 17:20 »
Mike..
i think this answers your question..."A cork oak is first stripped at 25 years old, although the first harvest is not good enough to use. The trees can then be stripped every nine years."  and  "But they warn if the use of corks in wine bottles drops, the farmers will quickly remove the trees to make way for more profitable crops."

Quotes from a BBC news item on Portugal's cork producers.

Yes, maybe, but, in a quote from a press release last year

"Santos Silva showed a slide that indicated cork production in Portugal is projected to grow by 4% in the next 10 years, due to increased planting that began about 20 years ago, and may grow 18% by 2050."

I suspect the wine stopper trade is growing more global with bigger companies contracting more of the quality crop and leaving less for the smaller players in the market. Or maybe not. Wine corks take up 15% of cork production and provide 50% of the revenue. It's a complex international market and it would need an insider to explain it all. Maybe somebody at Hopkins & Holloway would know. :z8

Irvine

Magnus Angus

« Reply #17 on: 10/02/2009 at 17:48 »
Rob

And why should they?

Absolutely - why should they?
Wine and rod-making compete for the same grades of cork made at the same stage - cut straight from the dried and processed bark - for sure wine accounts for a far larger percentage of cork production than rods and its volumes mean that it's far more profitable.

paavo

« Reply #18 on: 10/02/2009 at 18:44 »
Cork is not history yet though :z3

I received my rod component stock order today and I'm more than happy with the cork :wink

Won't be long before you can try our two new fly rods :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Mike, is this your new cork?  :cool:
http://flyfishingmasters.se.server363-han.de-nserver.de/index.php?sid=4a5deccef4fe693b94c3eab881ef99a7&cl=details&anid=5e1498999c52409c3.37374599&ZeeBra-kork-handles&

I know one who will be suprised  :z4

//Harri

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 10/02/2009 at 21:01 »

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 10/02/2009 at 21:22 »
I like that harri :z16

It would make an interesting contrast with one of this years planned rods, putting the stripes perpendicular to each other. Hmmmm.............. :wink

Sandy

Magnus Angus

« Reply #21 on: 10/02/2009 at 22:59 »
Yeah Sandy - but wouldn't you rather grow your own - just to keep with the ethos you understand.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 10/02/2009 at 23:03 »
Yeah Sandy - but wouldn't you rather grow your own - just to keep with the ethos you understand.

:z4  :z4  :z4  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 11/02/2009 at 05:49 »

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 Might give me enough time to get it right

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #24 on: 11/02/2009 at 06:59 »
Like I said at the start I'm not a Luddite , being a Librian I always like to strike a balance. I'm not against change, just change for the sake of change , the other view we can't be purists for the sake of it either, I always liked this quote from Gierach  :wink

"The Purist." Speaking of the fly-fishing elite, he writes, "To do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

:z18

Jim

Magnus Angus

« Reply #25 on: 11/02/2009 at 12:09 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Hmmm - I've a couple of "purists"

1 - It was good enough...
Proud and insistent on the history of fly fishing - only uses flies, rods, reels, lines and clothing designed, and preferably manufactured, no later than the Great War (he can't bear calling it WW1 because it was GREAT unlike all the minor skirmishes which came later - has similar feelings about the GREAT depression).
Cane rod - but is considering a greenheart gem he's spotted on ebay.
Brass reel - whoops like a distressed helicopter when a fish runs - which is rare - doubles as a door-stop and hammer in emergency.
Silk line - Circa 1920, inherited from his father, who borrowed it from his father, who wants it back.
Flies - winged and hackled tied on hand made hooks - hard to replace, he's down to two.
Wears - tweed, stout tweed jacket and trousers matched with lighter tweed underwear - heavy, started to smell like a particularly strong goats cheese around 1960.
Leaders - difficult since gut and quality horsehair are in short supply. Currently using the last 2ft of gut he liberated from a tennis racquet.

2 - Camo-man
Fish are highly intelligent, eagle eyed and plotting against him. Everything he owns is camo and matt - rod, reel, line, clothing (including undergarments), bag, car, dog, hair, knife, children, ex-wife. That which is not itself camo lives under an ex army net.

3 - Rip-off-averse-man
Fish are his friends but the tackle trade is plotting against him. He owns nothing costing more than £25. His entire collection of fishing gear cost no more than £100. Gets very defensive when anyone suggests his rod should have more rings (would look better with a cork grip, doesn't actually need roller rings) - that his reel really needs a handle - that his line shouldn't have one flat side.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 11/02/2009 at 12:41 »
Jedi/Magnus ....... very good :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #27 on: 11/02/2009 at 13:55 »
Talking of purists, I guess it is important to know where innovations in fishing equipment originally came from.

For example, impregnated cane was developed for the aircraft industry, were they needed a way of preserving and strengthening the frames of biplanes during the "great" war (probably not so great for the meillions killed, wounded or left traumatised!)

The material used in the Orvis Helios was developed for the rotor blades in modern combat helicopters.

Not a lot of difference really, both materials came from a very similar source..so even a cane rod is not that "pure" when it comes to fishing.  :z7

Magnus Angus

« Reply #28 on: 11/02/2009 at 14:53 »
Rob - no I don't think it's important to know where innovations in fishing tackle derived from - particularly when talking about purists.  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #29 on: 11/02/2009 at 18:23 »
This thread gets better  :z4 :z4

Just wish I had a meaningful contribution other than suggesting we start to collect 'real' cork from bottles and have a go at making our own 'custom' handles when flor grade cork becomes unobtainable. I can see a new elitism forming though......

How would that work :?

Well, for a Sage one might use cork only found in bottles of Pouilly Fuse or Champagne.

For Bruce & Walker perhaps the cork from a robust and workmanlike Merlot would suffice  :?

For a Daiwa the choice of cork might be from those bottles of Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvginon you've been saving for visits from folk you really don't like  :z7

For a Penn..... well, rubber would do  :z4

I sooooooo need to get out more  :z18

Hamish  :z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com