Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

garry john

salmon flies
« on: 08/02/2009 at 07:08 »
hi im goin 2 be fishing the don this season trying for my 1st salmon. i was looking 4 advice on which flies 2 try and when 2 try them? :z15

Hamish Young

Re: salmon flies
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2009 at 10:27 »
My standard line is fish what you're confident with, that makes a huge difference  :z16

However, without coming over all "Brucie" fairly standard patterns will serve you well.
You'll find the following in my boxes on a variety of weighted/unweighted tubes (2 inch to 1/2 inch) and doubles/singles from a 5 down to a 12:
Allys Shrimp (standard, yellow and red), Stoats Tail (standard and silver), Tosh, Willie Gunn (standard, green and gold bodied), Black Shrimp, Cascade, Squirrel & Orange, Sunray Shadow, Hairy Mary, Medicine Fly, Shin Shrimp (Ice Maiden is a reasonable facsimile) plus several others.

Generally, the tubes are fished in the springa nd autumn and the others during the summer. That's not set in concrete, as conditions and type of water largely dictate the pattern that goes on. Line choice is often much more significant than fly choice, so the right gear is important. What you got  :?

You'd be welcome to join me for a day, and I'm sure other addicts of the art of catching the silver tourists will add to this post  :z16

Hamish  :z3

garry john

« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2009 at 10:33 »
hi hamish not really geared up 4 the salmon fishing yet. to be honest i was goin 2 have a bash with my trout rod 9ft6 6/7w. this a bad idea?

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2009 at 10:37 »
Not necessarily, if it's got 'guts'. I wouldn't try and chuck anything more than largeish doubles with it though  :shock

I tend to fish a single handed 10ft #7 wt on all but the biggest water or unless I'm needing to chuck out something meaningful  :wink

Ben_D did OK with his 9.5ft #6wt Helios last season, but if you get into a bigger fish things could be 'tricky'. If the rest of the tackle is up to the job (reel, tippet etc) and you're confident with the rod then I'd say go for it  :z16

Hamish  :z3

garry john

« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2009 at 10:54 »
sounds good :z16 that would b ace joining u 4 a day down the don. im sure u could give me a few tips. :grin

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2009 at 11:41 »
We'll sort something out once the season is underway  :z16
I would urge you to consider a double handed outfit if you're going to get 'into it', plenty of choice out there for not too much cash.
A worthy investment  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com