Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Trout Master

Need New Line Help
« on: 07/02/2009 at 19:58 »
But i have no idea which one i need.  Im sort of new to fly fishing lol fished for 2yrs then stopped going for 7yrs.  I read the line needs to match the weight of your rod?.  When i bought my rod the line and reel came with it so it was ready to go.  So what do i do to find out what line i need i still have the old line.  Could i take it to a shop and show them the line and will they know which one i need for my rod.  I use float line and my rod is a john willson ideal. :z8

Hamish Young

Re: Need New Line Help
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2009 at 21:20 »
Is there not a line weight shown on the rod anywhere :?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2009 at 09:17 »
Mr Troutmaster

Does this help

http://www.firsttackle.co.uk/acatalog/Masterline_Ideal_XL_Fly_Rods.html

They show the range of sizes, so if you measure the rod to get its length then you should get a good idea of where to start :z16
Failing that Get Across to Haddo when the snow has gone and Mike has full selection of Demo lines for people to try, that way you can figure out what suits you and your rod :z16

Sandy

Trout Master

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2009 at 13:35 »
Iv just noticed on my rod it has some letters nd numbers.  WFL095  9 and a half # 6-8 Masterline is this the weight

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2009 at 13:37 »
WFL095  9 and a half # 6-8 is this the weight

That should be the weight  :wink
Personally i would try a 6wt line on it first

sightbob

« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2009 at 14:47 »
don't want to sound confrontational but you wouldn't go wrong with a #7 weight line just to be on the safe side.
cheers
brian.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2009 at 02:51 »
That code looks like a Daiwa Whisker - old Daiwa range, quite hefty and slow but current standards. We'd probably rate it as a #6 now, chances are when you used it you had a WF7 line on there. It should work fine with either. The rating numbers from that time sort of meant DT6 - WF7 - Shooting head 8.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #7 on: 09/02/2009 at 12:53 »
Hi Trout Master ,
                         Sounds like your rod is one of these .  http://www.reelfishing.co.uk/John-wilson-ideal-xl-fly-rod-ideal.html
my rod is a john willson ideal.
.Perhaps an earlier model .

The # is shorthand  for AFTM (Association of Fishing Tackle Manufacturers) and denotes a line rating of between AFTM 6 to AFTM 8 . This means that your rod has been rated to bend comfortably with 10 metres of a 6, 7, or 8 wt line outside the rod tip.

If it's an old used line you have ,you probably need to replace it anyway .You really need to match the rod and line to your preference so it's good advice to try out different lines at Haddo .

Hope that helps.
Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 09/02/2009 at 12:59 »
The # is shorthand  for AFTM (Association of Fishing Tackle Manufacturers)

Truely amazing that keyboard manufacturers realised way back in the 1900's that anglers would be discussing line weights on internet forums some 100 years later and put in the symbol # to help us out ;)  :z4  :z4  :z4

I thought # meant "number".. :z7   :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #9 on: 10/02/2009 at 12:35 »
Rob,

thought # meant "number"....

That's right it does. The line number as rated by the AFTM(A)  in this case, as I,m sure you know.

What does that have to do with computer keyboards ?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 10/02/2009 at 12:44 »
Hi folks :cool:

This kind of goes back to what I was speaking about in the other thread ...... you can help somebody by suggesting a fly line worth trying, but you can't really suggest one worth buying :z3

See http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1626.0

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com