Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Big fish, Little fish
« on: 02/02/2009 at 18:07 »
Does big fly mean big fish and small fly equal small fish or does it not make that much odds :?

Dave

Jim Eddie

Re: Big fish, Little fish
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2009 at 18:09 »
Not really a straight comparison , many of the largest Brownies are caught on small dries.

:z18

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 02/02/2009 at 18:13 »
Not really a straight comparison , many of the largest Brwonies are caught on small dries.

:z18

Jim

I guess it's been a long day, surley your nae at the fusky already?

So there's not really a rule of thumb type thing then.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2009 at 18:32 »
You cant buy a fly that is meant only to catch big fish!. Most of the time the big fish is old and wise and needs something small and natural like to fool it especially in the wild.
Personally i think most big fish at fisheries are caught by luck and only fish that are stalked should be given a good round of applause  :z16
Anyone can catch a monster at a fishery but it takes alot of skill to catch one in the wild  :z18
Just my thoughts  :wink

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 02/02/2009 at 19:42 »
No there's no rule of thumb. My biggest fish out of Haddo was taken on a size 12 spider. The same fly regularly takes 4" - 6" brownies out of the Don.

The older and bigger wild fish tend to hunt for little fish so all things being equal you would have more chance with a big(ish) streamer pattern. But in the spring the big fish are feeding on olives so a size 12 dry fly will catch fish across a big range of sizes.

Match the hatch :z16

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 02/02/2009 at 20:23 »

Match the hatch :z16

Well said :z16 even when its hatches of pink blobs. I think all my doubles out of haddo were taken on size 14-16 flies (given i rarely use anything bigger its not much surprise :roll)
But i have had it proven to me that a nice big bushy fly will catch really nice fish, when i reckon they are taking tiny spinners :z6 even on the river :wink

Eh "H"  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

NO black and whites when it comes to fish and flies, i'm afraid. :z4 Thankfully

Sandy

Dave Mundie

« Reply #6 on: 02/02/2009 at 21:39 »

NO black and whites when it comes to fish and flies, i'm afraid. :z4 Thankfully

Sandy

Dare i say it.............................

Thats why its called fishing and not catching  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 02/02/2009 at 21:50 »
Dare i say it.............................

Thats why its called fishing and not catching  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Dave

Aye , but remember its actually called FLY fishing  :wink

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Dave Mundie

« Reply #8 on: 02/02/2009 at 22:00 »
Aye , but remember its actually called FLY fishing  :wink

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Ah so thats what i've been doing wrong, i've been looking for fish not FLY's  :wink :z4 :z4 :z4

Dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 02/02/2009 at 22:05 »
There you go see :z16

Find the flies, find the fish :wink

:z15 :z15 :z15 :z15

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 03/02/2009 at 09:03 »
I have had a few interesting catches using large flies. I have a particular Pike fly thats is fluro orange and yellow, some 6-8 inches long and dressed to look like a big goldfish. I have had around 10 Rainbows on this, all in the 2-3 pound class. I had a sub 1lb rainbow hit a surface frog pattern that was around 5 inches and a Brownie of around 2 pounds on a black bunny dressed on a 5/0!!!

All these fish came from waters where trout anglers regularly fish tiny buzzers, spiders etc.

I have also had a few big brownies on 2" minnow patterns when "matching the hatch" after seeing fry scatter and thinking it was Pike or Perch.

Trout are not put off by 50 lb Titanium single strand wire by the way :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com