Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Livingstone

Closed season jitters
« on: 31/01/2009 at 16:45 »
So, how are people coping with the close season jitters?  I am sitting in Norway waiting for reasonable weather and open water to go fishing and thinking about the season ahead.

Last season I 'discovered' a small stream that gets hit after a spate by wormers but I have never seen another fly fisher on the stream, or anyone else for that matter, just evidence of 50lb line with worm gear attached!  By small stream I mean 10-15ft across at the very widest.  Most of the stream sits in a tunnel of trees and a couple of areas one bank is a cliff.  Why write about this place?  Well, the fish are not huge but good fish do lurk there, there a not massive fly hatch but enough come along to make the fish look up.  The reason I am writing about it is that it has taught me more about fishing on moving water than I could figure out on a bigger stream or river. 

Everything is compact and there appears to be all types of wate, only in miniature.  On the slow pools I have learned the importance of stealth and can see how trout spook, some by darting away, others just sink a little deeper.  In the faster water, it is using a short line and avoiding drag.  This place is currently my haven and I am looking forward to hitting it in March/April.

I think the most important lesson it has taught me is when enough is enough!  Some days I went out there and hooked and landed a number of fish but you just have to stop and leave the stream in peace for another day, other times all you need for that great day is one fish!

That's enough rambling for now

mike

Sandy Nelson

Re: Closed season jitters
« Reply #1 on: 31/01/2009 at 21:20 »
Jitters, JITTERS

I've gone into full scale convulsions at times :shock
It seems that when i go to work the water thaws, but then on my last day of shift its frosty and the water freezes up, so i spend my time off, filling in time, going mad in my garage and creating allsorts of weird and wonderful sticks. Then on my last day off it starts to thaw so the water is clear until the last day of the shift again, this has gone on now for the last 5 weeks :cry :cry

Its starting to get to me, to much time to think is not good for idle hands, i'm hoping this cold front due on Monday (my last day of shift :roll) misses the NE

Whats the chances :z6

Sandy

Sorry Mike. Forgot to say, totally agree, Honing watercraft on a wee river, is a great way to set yourself up for the Bigger ones :z16 Nice one :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com