Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Global Warming , aye right
« on: 29/01/2009 at 20:51 »
I'm sure mike will testify , it been a winter of hard frosts  :roll

When I was in my youth it was the norm , however in the past decade or so we have hardly seen a frost especially near the coast.

Bad news is, snow is on the way , from Sunday night into early next week  :z6

:z18

Jim

Dave Mundie

Re: Global Warming , aye right
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/2009 at 20:55 »
Means the traffic will be at an even slower snails pace in the morning now!

Dave

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2009 at 21:36 »
right on Jim,

our windiz used to freeze on the inside regularly when I were t'lad but you're right this year seems to have been a constant pain on the ice front such as not experienced for many a year.

Snow on the way? :cry Dave your right more traffic mayhem on the way then but it might mean some constant water levels for the start of the Salmon season.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2009 at 22:00 »
Tis maybe my fault for putting the woodburner in the hut ..... most things in life are my fault :z4

Yes, this is the coldest winter for years. Not extremely cold, but constantly cold :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 29/01/2009 at 22:43 »
I am glad my readings of the "berries" was right...the more berries in autumn the harder the winter (temperature wise).

Read in the paper today that we are expected to get severe arctic weather with temperatures "plunging" to -4 degrees!! -

-4???? iTS BEEN THAT EVERY MORNING FOR ABOUT 4 WEEKS OUT BY ME! Coldest i have seen sice christmas was -13, with a couple of -11's and plenty of -4 and 5's. My poor goldfish think the sky has gone solid over ther pond!!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 29/01/2009 at 22:57 »
Yes, I've noticed that this year more than others Rob, the temperatures given in forecasts and on the telly have been frequently off the mark :roll

Best wishes
Mike

stickleback

« Reply #6 on: 29/01/2009 at 22:57 »
Maybe it's just returning to the more 'normal' and colder winters that we regularly experienced a couple of decades ago.  In the late 80's / early 90's I can remember going skiing at Glenshee into April.  

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 30/01/2009 at 07:42 »
Yes, I've noticed that this year more than others Rob, the temperatures given in forecasts and on the telly have been frequently off the mark :roll
I use these lot and find them very accurate for next 24 hrs
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 30/01/2009 at 08:25 »
Best toy I got at christmas was from my in-laws.... an 'Oregon' weather station with most of the bells and whistles (barometric pressure, temperature, humidity and 'forecaster' all built in) which is eerily accurate  :shock

I'd say we're having a proper winter, more like the ones I remember when I moved to the east side of the country in the early '90s.
Certainly, we've had weeks go by with the temperature seldom getting above 1 degree and frequently -4 constantly. Have seen -12 in Dinnet, but then again my outside sensor for the weather sensor is a smidgen sheltered.

Brisk :? Yes, just a bit  :!

paavo

« Reply #9 on: 30/01/2009 at 18:35 »
Our cottage in county Norrbotten, 21: st of mars 08.
Minus 6 at daytime, - 22 at night.

Harri

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 30/01/2009 at 19:20 »
Harri

Now that is proper snow , because the mild winters of the past 15 years or so we have become soft , just wait until next week when we may have 75mm, the country will grind to a halt  :z4

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 30/01/2009 at 20:01 »
Awesome :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 30/01/2009 at 20:42 »
Lovely photo Harri :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com