Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ross

Sea Fishing...
« on: 29/01/2009 at 20:32 »
Well, I've been doing a fair bit of traveling at the tail end of 2008 and the starts of 2009 but things have finally calmed down.

(I've also taken up Sea Fishing :shock)

That said, who does fresh lug/rag? as well as other baits? Totally new territory to me :/

Jim Eddie

Re: Sea Fishing...
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/2009 at 20:42 »
Ross

You can buy online , but its very expensive. You an get frozen lug at local tackle shops not sure about live.
You can dig your own at the Ythan estuary at low tide.

:z18

Jim

Ross

« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2009 at 20:50 »
I'm off out Sat/Sun hopefully :/ so no time to buy online! :(

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2009 at 22:47 »
No one really stocks "live bait" up here. Somers does the farmed rag but as above, its very expensive and the stuff i have had has been small. Don't know if you would get up in Peterhead??

Depending what you want to catch, i would be using frozen calamari squid and mussel cocktail for the cod, especially at Bervie, mussel on its own off the rocks or blow lug if you can get it (frozen).

As also said, bait can be dug at newburgh or montrose basin. I have also found in a few of the harbours arounf the area at very low water.

Oh..Razor fish can be good after a storm.

stickleback

« Reply #4 on: 29/01/2009 at 22:51 »
You can now also buy freeze dried rag in the George Steet tackle shop (forgotten it's name) in Aberdeen.  You have to soak them in water for about half an hour until they're soft enough to put on your hook.  Quite expensive but better than puting your back out through digging just before you go fishing !!  :z4

Good luck.

Cammy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 29/01/2009 at 22:58 »
George Street ..... Bain's?

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 29/01/2009 at 23:03 »
What's all this about Europe wanting to bring in a UK fishing licence for leisure fishing in the sea? With catch returns and other rules?

Being spoken about a fair bit on the net, but I haven't seen any formal information myself. I believe it got a mention on the TV news ..... European Parliament .......

Magnus posted a media link in a previous post relating to this http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5375688.ece

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 30/01/2009 at 12:01 »
What's all this about Europe wanting to bring in a UK fishing licence for leisure fishing in the sea? With catch returns and other rules?

Appears to be differing ideas on how this would work. Seems the rest of europe thinks it will be for charter skippers who take rod and line anglers out..which i think makes sense...but the UK, being the UK seem to think it will apply to everyone and there dog and it would be the end of sea fishing here!

Were all doomed I tell you..doooomed!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 30/01/2009 at 17:17 »
Hi Rob :z16

Re: "Were all doomed I tell you..doooomed!"

Does anybody actually watch the news on the TV or buy a newspaper nowadays without laughing at all the doom and gloom stories :z4

Not so many years ago, Chris Tarrant would have featured what is now our daily gloomspiel on his programme ...... and we all would have rolled about on the floor laughing :shock

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com